Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*House was built in 1938. *It’s been a while since I have performed an actual home inspection. I feel pretty confident inspecting again with the exception: electrical inspections are not my strongest area. No electricity was on at the time of the inspection and I had to use my phone and a flashlight to perform the inspection (I apologize if the pictures are not the best). There are 4 areas that I’m not 100% sure of, when I opened up this Main Service Panel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• I cannot see where the neutral conductor from the SEC’s is connected, so how does the electricity get back to its source? I am confused … I’ve never seen anything like this before. The neutral conductor should be marked with white tape to identify it. There is an aluminum wire with no insulation on it running to the neutral bus bar. The only thing that makes any sense to me is that the aluminum wire with no insulation on it, is the neutral conductor. Am I correct, with my observation?

• The two (hot) SEC’s, are stripped back and don’t appear to be torqued down (loose). Am I correct and should they have ant-oxidant paste on them?

• There are 3 white conductors (hot), running on the breakers that are not re-identified and should be marked with black electrical tape to show that they are actually (hot) and not neutral conductor’s, am I correct, with my observation?

• I cannot see where the panel is bonded properly and I’m concerned that it might energize the panel. Maybe I’m overlooking it but I cannot see the green bonding screw (jumper).

A few more pics.

The location of the bond screw if used, is shown of the label. Your pics are not clear enough to actually see if it is installed.

The whites on the breaker most likely pre-date the reidentification requirements.

Anti-oxidant is not required, but many consider it a good trade practice.

It lloks like SE cable is used to feed the panel. If so the neutral is bare and looks like it connects to the bottom of the bar. Again the pictures hamper a clear picture.

WOW! Ok I will list a few:

1. You are right about the neutral/ground
  2. Numerous double taps
  3. Improper connections at breakers
  4. These panels you do have to closely for bonding, they did not use a green screw or jumper. Usually if it is bonded (which many times it isn’t) it will be a longer sliver screw on the neutral/ground bar switched out and connected into the back of the panel.
  5. The wiring across the top of the panel, (mainly the bare ground wire) should not pass over and so close to the main breaker. It should be re-routed to the bottom of the panel.
  6. The paper jacket on the wire to the left side should be removed and panel cleaned out.

There is more but I do not want to steal everyone’s thunder…

Would you like to cite the code requirement for this?

I will save you the trouble and tell you you will not find one regarding this.

It is not a code thing. It is a good practice and safety recommendation.

• I cannot see where the neutral conductor from the SEC’s is connected, so how does the electricity get back to its source? I am confused … I’ve never seen anything like this before. The neutral conductor should be marked with white tape to identify it. There is an aluminum wire with no insulation on it running to the neutral bus bar. The only thing that makes any sense to me is that the aluminum wire with no insulation on it, is the neutral conductor. Am I correct, with my observation? As Jim stated the service entrance conductors are in SE cable so the neutral is bare.

• The two (hot) SEC’s, are stripped back and don’t appear to be torqued down (loose). Am I correct and should they have ant-oxidant paste on them? Tighten to required torque value, yes. Anti-Ox past, no.

• There are 3 white conductors (hot), running on the breakers that are not re-identified and should be marked with black electrical tape to show that they are actually (hot) and not neutral conductor’s, am I correct, with my observation? They should be re-identified as ungrounded conductors with tape, paint, marker or some other approved means.

• I cannot see where the panel is bonded properly and I’m concerned that it might energize the panel. Maybe I’m overlooking it but I cannot see the green bonding screw (jumper). Sorry but you need better photo’s or a better camera for someone to make that determination.

• I cannot see where the neutral conductor from the SEC’s is connected, so how does the electricity get back to its source? I am confused … I’ve never seen anything like this before. The neutral conductor should be marked with white tape to identify it. There is an aluminum wire with no insulation on it running to the neutral bus bar. The only thing that makes any sense to me is that the aluminum wire with no insulation on it, is the neutral conductor. Am I correct, with my observation? As Jim stated the service entrance conductors are in SE cable so the neutral is bare.

• The two (hot) SEC’s, are stripped back and don’t appear to be torqued down (loose). Am I correct and should they have ant-oxidant paste on them? Tighten to required torque value, yes. Anti-Ox past, not required.

• There are 3 white conductors (hot), running on the breakers that are not re-identified and should be marked with black electrical tape to show that they are actually (hot) and not neutral conductor’s, am I correct, with my observation? They should be re-identified as ungrounded conductors with tape, paint, marker or some other approved means.

• I cannot see where the panel is bonded properly and I’m concerned that it might energize the panel. Maybe I’m overlooking it but I cannot see the green bonding screw (jumper). Sorry but you need better photo’s or a better camera for someone to make that determination.

I think I see the jumper about midspan on the neutral bar. The neutral is the large bare conductor coming in with the SECs. They’re are double taps on the top right double pole breaker. Conductor terminations on the lower left breaker need to be redone. Need to use a camera with a flash…

I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.