Any requirements with this 220 receptacle?

220 volt receptacle directly next to the washing machine lid where wet clothing would be taken out? Any rules on this, cant seem to find any myself. Thanks for any help with this.

None that I know of, Drew… :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Larry :+1: :+1: :+1:

I agree with Larry not an issue.

1 Like

Thank you Robert. :+1: :+1: :+1:

In USA, 220V has not been around for 40+ years, it’s 240V :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Good point the correct nominal voltages should always be used. For HI’s it almost always single phase, 120/240 or 120/208 volts

Some European countries use 220V , while some specify 230V though the Hz is 50. Most appliances will accept 220V or 240V.

Don’t know if this helps but, Electrical Outlet Height, Clearances & Spacing

1 Like

It is not recommended to be upside down but not prohibited.

1 Like

Why would you say that it’s upside down when the 90° angle plug is hanging down as per its design?

2 Likes

He probably thinks the knockout should be on the bottom, but that’s just not the case.

1 Like

The NEC does not specify an orientation for a receptacle. The only prohibition is concerning face up in a countertop.

1 Like

By who, may I ask?

1 Like

The cord does not dictate the orientation of the receptacle.

If possible yes. But not required.

You can place it face up on the floor. I addressed the NEC issue by saying not prohibited.

Leviton.

Care to share the link?

As an observation if Drew Don’t feel comfortable with where it is located can he mention it in his report as a safety issue and explain his reasoning?

1 Like

I was researching it and a chat window opened up. I got the information from the person on the other end.
I am assuming that they don’t let just anyone reply to questions. Before I could screen shot the screen he said bye and the screen change. He said that he could not recommend installing it upside down. That was the extent of his answer.
I am sure that you could find someone there during normal business hours to get an answer.
Again, no prohibition.

As an inspector you don’t have to prove recommendations to your clients only defects. IMHO you could say almost everything is some type of safety issue.

1 Like

I didn’t think so…

2 Likes

I don;t care if you believe it or not. I was being polite by trying to answer your question. Don’t expect me to respond to your requests in the future.