Anyone Know De-Winterizing Procedures?

I’ve made two trips back to a house that the selling agent says has been de-winterized. The last time I went the kitchen floor was flooded (dishwasher valve left open) and the Winterized notices were still posted. I also noticed the toilets were still taped shut and the water lines were still full of air before water flowed at the sink. The agent says she normally takes the signs down but didn’t have time. I think the company at the very least should have signed off that they de-winterized the house. Exactly what does legit company do when they de-winterize? Thx

Anyone???

Wow suprised to see no answer.
I would think it means basicly to get the water back on.

As far as the other systems go, that is hard to answer as most utilities come with a bill.

Make sense?

Robert,
I don’t think you do anything special when you De-Winterize. Make sure everything in house is OFF, turn on at street and release pressure inside.

Charlie

Just found this on Brain Doles’ website. Good stuff Brian! Thx!

http://www.colbyinspections.com/uploads///dewinterizing%20checklist.pdf

I wish winterizing procedures were standardized, but they arn’t. I don’t like to de-winterize, but I end up doing it all the time. That’s why I carry a wet-vac with me as standard equipement…really… If you have to dewinterize, shut-off all valves in the house - the ones that will get you are the laundry connections, ice maker connections at the fridge, lines disconnected at water heater or valves open at the water heater. I’ve been caught by all of these. If any winterizors are out there listening, please only leave valves open that are above a drain!!! You would think this was common sense, but common sense isn’t always that common.

Many homes are winterized after the water supply pipes have burst prior to winterization. It’s kind of fun to watch the look on a realtors face as he turns on the water supply because I won’t. I now ask if the homes are de-winterized prior to making the inspection appt.

Well said, I used to de-winterize. Seller’s agent & Buyer’s agent “expect” the Home Inspector to do it. The LAST time I de-winterized was at a foreclosed home and I quickly found that there were leaks all throughout the drain pipes and water was running down an exterior wall. I lucked out and didn’t get a call on it but again that was the LAST time I de-winterized.

**No, I don’t winter or de-winter unless someone has a pocket full of cash! **

Me either. Way outside the scope or responsibility of a HI. If anything goes wrong or was wrong before it was winterized, whether your fault or not, you were the last one to touch it you can bet the farm you will be blamed for it. IN every situation, the home is supposed to be “READY” for inspection. Not my job to get it ready so I can do my J-O-B.

Think about it like this; if I will not turn on valves, circuit breakers, gas petcocks, etc. normally, why in the world would I do ALL of that on a home to “de-winterize” it. If I am liable for turning on one thing, just imagine the amount of liabilty to turning on everything. What are the odds of something being broken, faulty or just waiting to fail before I show up in this situation.

De-Winterizing Procedures:

1. Get plumbers’ phone #s for client.
  2. Follow up with client to ensure home has been de-winterized.
    *]Do inpsection.

Agree except for #1. Seems to me agents buying/selling should take care of coordinating (all utilities). There was a company that winterized. They would be the company I would recommend to contact to de-winterize.

No problem…But as a side note, this is not something I do or offer as a “Home Inspector”.

I actually need to modify that document. The step I need to add is to first pressurize the system with air prior to opening any water valves. If the system doesn’t hold air, you’ve got a leak - so don’t open the main.

When all else fails, call a plumber. :slight_smile:

Funny you mention that…I had one awhile back where the agent decided upon himself to open the main. When I arrived to the house the first floor of this slab home had about an inch of water everywhere. He opened the valve then never went in the house to see if anything was leaking, dumba$$ opens the valve and gets back in his car to wait on me - for about 10 minutes.

Needless to say, that inspection never happened - and he hasn’t called back either. I’d be embarrassed too. :smiley:

Question - If you were asked to inspect a home and then winterize it afterwards (for a fee of course) is it ethical to do so? Would it be considered similar to a repair?

Before doing this do you get a signed contract from the seller/owner giving you permission to perform the winterizing/dewinterizing?

Winterizing a home is not the same as repairing something you found wrong.

Several home inspectors I know provide this & other services, such as trash outs, for mortgage companies.

Home Inspection is one job.
Field Services is a different job.
Home Repair on house you haven’t inspected is another job.
Fireman is another job.

Lot’s of us have more than one job.