Arc Flash Exposure

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Be careful when inspecting electrical systems!

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

YES, YES, YES.

Mike P.

Yes, Yes, Yes, Does that mean you agree? Do you have any or know of situations where this can be verified so that we can be sure that this statement is true?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

“Be careful when inspecting electrical systems!”

That was the statement to which I was refering.

I think it would be extremely rare for this to happen on a residential electrical inspection.

As I have stated before, if you have employees or are an employee, OSHA prohibites you from removing a 'live' panel cover. Removing the cover IS working 'live' if the power is NOT off.

Mike P.

Mike Parks wrote:
"Be careful when inspecting electrical systems!"

That was the statement to which I was referring.

I think it would be extremely rare for this to happen on a residential electrical inspection.

As I have stated before, if you have employees or are an employee, OSHA prohibits you from removing a 'live' panel cover. Removing the cover IS working 'live' if the power is NOT off.

Mike P.

If anyone wants the entire 42 accident images send me your regular email address with that request so I can send them to you,

Originally Posted By: tallen

I saw a man(after the fact)that was burned from arc flash from a 120/240 panel in a apartment complex. He was adding a breaker to a live sub panel ( don’t remember why)

Anyway he dropped a wire clipping and apparently it landed across the main lugs. It was not as bad as the pics you posted, but had he not been wearing a shield he most likely would be blind.He suffered severe burns to both of his hands. Lucky guy though, no permanent damage other than scaring. Osha shut the job down for a week if I remember right.

His face shied looked like a ball of wax!

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005