Victim of an Arc Flash at an Electric Meter!

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Victim of an Arc Flash at an Electric Meter!

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/ElecBurns.JPG

![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif)

More to follow on safety gloves, etc.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Vince Santos

Is that type of burn serious? I have never seen that type of burn before. It looks like bruises. Do you use a multimeter to check the outsite of the panel before you open it?

Desire is half of life, indifference is half of death.

–Kahlil Gibran

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Vince

You should not be doing anything AT the electrical meter.

I am confused as to why this concerns the HI.

"More to follow on safety gloves, etc."

Are we going to 'teach' PPE and OSHA regs.?

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Joe,

Your posts are very informative to say the least. ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

You would help us even more if we knew what caused these accidents and steps to prevent them.

Erol Kartal

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Erol

The answer is simple. Unqualified or lazy persons performing 'electrical' work.

Mike P.

I wish we (generalists) had nothing to do with evaluating electrical systems. It’s serious s#!t that should be left to sparkies. I see no problem with inspectors evaluating other components of a home. Just my paranoid 2.5 cents worth.

Erol Kartal

Mike:

My posts are in the interest of safety.

What else can you add that would be helpful?

![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--

I received a message from someone asking about my electrical concerns. Two good reasons:

1- It scares the s#!t out of me (but mountain climbing doesn't).

2- I lost a close friend at ComEd who was burned to a crisp.

Erol Kartal

Originally Posted By: jrice

Joe,

Thank you for posting these informative messages. I find it valuable and something we all need to keep in the front of our minds as we perform inspections. Accidental shock/burns can happen from even opening a 110 outlet cover.

Keep up the good work!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff:

Look at this video clip and think about safety!

This is an example of an Arc Flash!

Play before leaving to go to an inspection!

www.joetedesco.com/flash.AVI

![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--

Originally Posted By: tallen

I have been preaching PPE. But almost everyone blows me off.

Please tell them what they are dealing with. No code ref's

Just strait up.

I have seen videos of people turning on the main breaker of a panel when all the circuit breakers are in the on position . This creates a heavy load on the main and could result in a very bad and deadly situation.

Here is something you may not know and is NOT in the realm of most HI's

If for some reason you are operating a disconnect switch. Please use your left hand that way you will not be in front of the equipment. Reason being --- if there is a load on the disconnect there is the possibility of arc flash (explosion) if you use your left hand your body is out of the way.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

The way I understand it is to use your right hand. The reason behind this is because if there happens to be a live load on the equipment, it will travel thru the right side of your body and not the left. The left obviously being the side where our heart is located.

–Kahlil Gibran

Originally Posted By: Guest

I always prefer to use Vince’s hand.

I don’t have a problem with that, but I will need 35% of the inspection fee.

–Kahlil Gibran

YIKES !

![aiwebs_009.gif](upload://UolAtarYBaB7gvuTT4ehATuNdh.gif)

Erol

? Most non-qualified home inspectors don?t realize that there are two hazards associated with electricity: electrical shock, which can shut down breathing and heart function even at very low levels; and, the risk of severe burns due to electrical arcing and arc blasts.

? In order for a home inspector to be considered as a qualified person to inspect ANY electrical system, a home inspector must learn how to protect themselves from both shock and burn hazards through the use of safe electrical work practices.

Originally Posted By: dbozek

Good post Joe. What a lot of HI’s don’t realize as well is that one can get flashed by an arc in an electrical panel as well…as just about anywhere there is electrical and not just the meter can. The flash is very much like that of a arc welder and does the same injury to the eyes. I think anyone that pokes fun at the information that Joe is trying to get across is a fool. As it was put in another response…electricity is serious umm stuff and should not be taken lightly. I’ve been fortunate in my 30 years as a sparky in that I have never had a serious accident due from it, but then I follow all safety precautions whenever I can. I know some victims of arc flash as well as others who have been severly shocked. It surely is not a pleasant thing to look at and I believe that Joe posts such graphic pictures to simply say…BE Careful!

Erol, in regards to your comment, here in Ohio, a license is required to do any type of electrical safety inspection. Yet, there are HI's here that do it every inspection without a certificate from the state allowing such. It has nothing to do with unqualified or lazy electricians either, as Mike put it. The licensing process to be able to do electrical safety inspections was put there for safety reasons. You just don't want anyone performing such an inspection who has not been properly trained to do so. Too many mistakes could be made thus causing potentially hazordous conditions.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Joe T.,

Do you get a kick out of having the photos in line?

I would have thought you would have got the message after the last one.

THINK *CLICKABLE LINK*.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Electricity and Arc Flash are nothing to laugh at. This is certainly true. So dont think I’m discounting the need to act in a safe manner when performing electrically-related inspections. However…

This information needs to be placed squarely in perspective to what we do in our everyday inspections. If a person is uneasy about removing an electrical panel cover, they should not be doing it.

The photo was clearly more than a residential arc flash. Dennis description of an arc flash beiong similat to an electric welder is accurate. However, I have been in situations where I have welded without a mask. I dod not look at the arc, and still got welder's flash (temporarily burned retina) from the UV rays generated by the arc light. It comes in about 4 hours, and leaves in about another 4. Even with a welders mask, reflecting light enters under the mask, and still can cause welders flash.

Eye protection needed to protect your eyes from such a flash is nearly pitch black. You can stare at the sun with it. Also, full face protection is needed to protect your skin from arc flash. When the hell is an electrician going to wear such a mask.

I also think the photos are a bit over the top, and have sais so before. So, why not cut to the quick...

What reasonable equipment should we consider wearing while performing an electrical inspection. Hard hats may be a stretch, unless there is danger of something clunking us in the head. If we get knocked on our a$%, a hardhat will likely bget knocked off in the process.

Gloves should be robust enough to protect, yet nimble enough to allow grip and dexterity. Absent of this, I feel we are more likely to drop something into the panel.

What about shoes? Rubber soled? Leather soled? I worked for NJ Transit, and can tell you that either style doesnt amount to a tinker's damn if the voltage and amperage is high enough. So, which shoes are acceptable in the context of WHAT WE INSPECT. Remember, we are likely going to be wearing these same shoes on ladders, landscape, and roofs.

How about eye protection? Straight goggles? Visor? At the right temperature, these can melt to your face.

Isnt there a requirement for aprons to be now made of Kevlar? I dont believe that straight Nomex cuts it anymore. Now, at a cost of $800 per PPE vest, this may be impracticle for most HIs. So, what's next? How about a welder's apron. Storable, easy on, easy off, reasonably priced.

Lets get the list going, and use some common sense. There are several free on-line electrical safety courses (presentations) avaiable on the 'Net.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."