Archictural shingle issues: cause?

That is a god idea Brian. It has been way to long that shingles are being manufactured and sold that do not meet there warranted life expectancy.

It’s craze-cracking, Joe. it’s caused by shrinkage of the asphalt layer at the surface due to loss of volatiles. It’s more common in shingles of the 10 + year range. In a 6-year old roof, it’s probably due to poor asphalt quality or poor ventilation or both. Craze cracking is just surface cracking so it’s not really a defect or leakage risk, but more of a quality issue.
When I run across it I describe it this way and don’t make a recommendation.

Kenton Joe is pointing out issues with the shingle.
The lack of adhesion plus over spacing.
They both can effect the shingle ability to weather a storm so to speak.
a: The lack of adhesion will cause blown off shingles.
b: rain to be forced up inside the upper laid shingle for one.
c: climate zone 5,4,3 etc. Ice damming.
2 unevenly spaced shingles.
a: leaking at the but joint again cause by extreme weather.
b: allowing wind to get under the shingle causing lifting and blow away shingles.
Will the shingle last its warranted life span? Questionable.
I would call it out as a maintenance issue and also advise to have a roofer do a writeup. Not a reroof.
I would follow through after the roofers writeup and give my conclusion.
Just me.

Joe’s post just asks about the cracking. What other issue was he pointing out?

Hello Kenton.
He talked about the lack of adhesion and uneven spacing in both the horazontal and vertical layout of the shingle.
Its no:1 post one the thread.
Sorry no:3

In my post #21 I quote Joe’s #1 post, Robert. All I see is a question about cracking. What am I missing? Oooops, lemme look at #3

My bad… you’re right, Robert. I just answered Joes #1 post and moved on.

The adhesive bond is the most important component in wind resistance. poor bond is bad. Varying exposure indicates poor knowledge of shingle installation.

It was my mistake pointing you to #1. I came right back to show you #3. Sorry.
I am tired Kenton. Reloading 2 computers from scratch. At least another 50 plus hours of with no hitches. WOW.

Try to go easier on yourself, Robert.

Thanks Kenton.

So, am I to assume that I shouldn’t be installing IKO shingles? not trying to stir anything up, I am curious. Here, I have only 2 choices, IKO and BP.

The shingles appear to be Certain Teed Shangle. The dark line is a characteristic of the shingle. It is not indicative of poor installation or overlap.

http://www.certainteedshinglesettlement.com/

I moved to BP Esgaude for 10 years after. Stopped full-time nailing in 1991.
You use the shingles you think you should use.
I have never heard of BP having problems and never seen quality control issues like I have with IKO.
Then again I am in Montreal Canada and the Quebec government put an end to roofing shingle problems in the early 1980’s.
Now you can not find shingle under 25 years in Montreal at my main material store.( only roofing and tin) use to be 20 year rated now I** think** its 25. ( could be wrong) but that all I see at my supplier when I go to have flashing, crickets and kick-outs bent.

How’d they do that?

Strict product manufacturing rules.
They investigated all complaints that the public had towards shingle manufactures and construction product and scrutinize product and application technology before it arrives on the shelves. Ken.
The are at the forefront of technology through investagation.
We are the only province in Canada that is 100 percent unionized in the industrial and comerical building sector. Lot of cash for the pigs to do there investative work.
You can see by my past statement that it ( 100 unionized ) has lead to corruption and unfair competition.
The rest of Canada has 2 froms of oversight.
Parity committed and unionized. less corruption in my eyes.

Link for galvanized framing nails.http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/1/CompressorsAirTools/PneumaticFasteningTools/PRDOVR~0587861P/Bostitch%2B28-Degree%2BGalvanized%2BFraming%2BNails%252C%2B2-in.jsp?locale=en They are common here.

I should have charged way more. The client is getting a new roof. See item #3.

I think I’ll put this on my website to advertise the benefits of a home inspection.

Joe.
First time you ran across that type of defect?
You have been doing this for years.

Yes. As far as I know. I knew it was a defect, but wanted to know about how serious everyone thought it was.

It is not of that much lmportance. I will last its warranty date, if all other aspects of the roofs system were installed correctly .
That being said it will affect its overall longevity .
Just my view .