Architectural shingles used as ridge caps

I’ve never encountered architectural shingles used as ridge caps, but when I Goggled it, it seems common. I wouldn’t have been that concerned except I found splitting and evidence of water intrusion in the attic.

What is the consensus using architectural shingles as ridge caps instead of ridge shingles?

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a code issue, but it shouldn’t be done. They do not conform and bend properly, which is why it’s splitting.
I’ve never had to call it out myself either

3 Likes

https://www.gaf.com/en-us/roofing-products/residential-roofing-products/hip-and-ridgecap-shingles?Action=GetGrid

2 Likes

With architectural shingles, manufactured ridge cap shingles or cut 3-tab shingles should be used. I have also seen the architectural shingle used but with the same result as your photo shows. They are not designed for this use. I would recommend that they have a qualified roofer come out to evaluate. The good news is that the ridge cap can be removed and replaced fairly inexpensively.

1 Like

From what I have seen, the greater the pitch the greater the tendency to crack.

3 Likes

That is what I suspected as well. It was about 10/12.

The hips and gables were all ridge shingles. I think they ran out when they got to the peak.

Thanks for all the replies.

2 Likes

There is a way to cut out and create ridge shingles out of architectural shingles but not the way shown in your pic. The way shown in your pic they could delaminate and leak, risky.

3 Likes

You can buy the matching pre-cut shigles for architectural. And that is the way to eliveate any future problems.

4 Likes

Rather curious considering most roofers (around here) use a vented ridge cap even when the ridge is unvented. Just an easier way to finish the job.

2 Likes

Agreed. They knew no one would look.

2 Likes

I see it occasionally. I call it out for correction because I’m not paying for it later when the roofer tries to throw me under the bus.

3 Likes

Wrong and I call it out but it’s VERY unlikely to ever be a problem.

Obviously, it was here, Matt.

5 Likes

I’ve seen complete holes and missing ridge roofing (often shakes) many times and there’s little or no sign of leakage in the attic. Problems are magnified greatly as you get lower on the roof and more water collects. How much rain is actually going to fly directly in a hole at the top of the roof? I’m not trying to defend an improper installation and performance problem… just adding some context. Fwiw, ridge cap shingles would likely have failed just as those field shingles have given the sharp bend.

It’s not a problem of leakage because when the last course of roofing is installed, it is usually bent over to the opposite side and same for the other side. So it would make it impossible to leak,
It is more of a problem with failure of the cap itself and aesthetics.

2 Likes

Which means they knew better but did it anyway. Sad.

2 Likes

I just had my house reshingled with architectural. They make matching ridge cap bundles you are supposed to buy with them, NOT cut your own like the old 3 tabs. So, yeah, this is an amateur mistake made by a non roofer who didn’t know that.

More likely a greedy contractor trying to inflate their profits!!

2 Likes