Are electricians supposed to use these tools as per 70E?

So as I tell the guys in my NEC code update seminars…if you do not think the term " Qualified Persons " is real…and demand they have safety training to meet the requirement of the verbiage of the NEC in regards to being a " Qualified Person " then read that article…

For " Electricians "…Make sure your company GETS the equipment and if they EVER ask you to work on something live…present them with an Energized Work Permit…and tell them they have to sign it and give reason for the request…putting a name on paper will sometimes end that discussion and possibly save a life.

Moral of the Story…don’t work on live parts if it is not needed…and if you do…then do it RIGHT…get tools like Joe T posted along with personal protection and the whole ball of wax.

Agreed! I was planning on purchasing the set above until I discovered the price.
List Price:**

**$2,036.00
I wonder what those tools would cost without the specific coverings where the typical insulated handles, etc. was supplied?

Here’s a set I found for around $350.00 :mrgreen:

http://images.cableorganizer.com/klein-tools/28piece-electriciantool-set-s.jpg

Nice set…not really going to compare with the ratings of the first set you posted as those from kline are not going to offer any shock protection really…but you know electricians work with them all the time and dont even think of…what if I damaged my normal lineman pliers during a rough in when nothing is live…and now I grab them to work on LIVE equipment…they have no idea what can happen through a simple pin hole in the insulation…

Hopefully IF they are foolish enough to use the kline versions above that they atleast have full PPE protection…they just might need it.

Those above are " everyday " electricians tools versus the ones that are truly insulated and rated for the environment…

Hey!

Can we use these tools instead? :-k

http://www.youtube.com/v/Mx9A8rhPuXw&rel=1

Total Cost, maybe around $20.00 at the dollar store!

Here’s a picture that Marc sent to me last year: :roll:

Those in #22 are not “insulated” handles. They are only comfort grip handles. The first set are listed as insulated, big difference. IBM had a big push to educate our techs that simply dipping tool handles in vinyl does not make then insulated and you also need a ridge at the edge to keep your hand from sliding off into the uninsulated metal.

Yep…A huge difference in the two sets of tools…sad thing is some electricians feel they have to work on things live…diagnostics is one thing but PPE is required for both when dealing with live parts…

There is simply no excuse a company can use if they send a guy to work on equipment…and then ask him to do it while still live…and give them no proper equipment…i would love to be expert witness on that case…

Never had the guts for working live.
Always pulled off the meter head , when running a sidecar.

Never had the guts for working live.
Always pulled off the meter head , when running a sidecar.

I have worked as an industrial electrician for 10 years and we only where those suits and PPE during our test after lockout. We confirm zero energy and take that stuff off and continue the job, with our klein tools. Never ever ever do anything live. By the way the klein tools are the best IMO. I do like to wear glasses and gloves when I pull the cover off a panel though. I was zapped once when I was an apprentice, by some shoemaker wiring and have been chicken s#$t ever since. Keeps me alive.