How concerned are you about your electrical safety?

Originally Posted By: joetedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Inquest to be held into girl’s electrocution

A coronial inquest will be held into the death of a seven-year-old girl who was electrocuted in Tennant Creek earlier this year.

Kumanjay Presley was playing in the backyard of her housing commission flat in Blain Street on a hot afternoon in March.

She touched the metal frame of an evaporative airconditioning unit and 220 volts of electricity shot through her small body. She died at the scene.

Her death sparked an audit of airconditioners in public housing across the Territory.

Chief coroner Greg Cavanagh will hold the inquest at the Tennant Creek courthouse over three days in April.

Originally Posted By: jbushart

Home Inspection Services of Missouri

www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I am aware of a lawsuit that was filed in New Jersey some years back.

A child was badly injured in a fire that was caused by an aluminum wiring connection in the service panel. The home inspector did not remove the cover to inspect the wiring in the panel, and did not state the reason the cover was not removed. Needless to say, because he didn't remove the cover he was unable to inform the buyer that the house had aluminum wiring.

A lawyer for the inspector contacted a friend of mine who is an inspector in New Jersey, and asked him if he would testify that it is unreasonable and unsafe for the inspector to remove the dead front cover during a home inspection. His answer was something to the effect of; No, I won't testify to that effect because not only is it reasonable for the inspector to remove the cover, he is a poor inspector if he doesn't, and shouldn't be inspecting. The lawyer replied with, well, I've called about a hundred inspectors and they've'e all said the same thing.

Should we wear PPE? Perhaps. I've pulled thousands of covers in my time and have yet to be shocked or injured, except for cutting my finger on the edge of an unusually sharp panel. That doesn't mean I won't get shocked or killed on the next cover I pull.

I don't want Big Brother mandating that I wear protective clothing to protect me from myself. But remember, I don't like helmet laws for motorcycles, seat belt laws for cars (except for children), or most other laws that take away our decisions about our own lives. If I or anyone else makes an informed decision knowing the risks, we can proceed with caution and act accordingly.

BTW, all 17 of the licensed inspectors in my county pull the cover, and none wear PPE.

Originally Posted By: bkelly1

jbushart wrote:
Joe T.,

You need to add another option:

I am concerned enough for my electrical safety to avoid paying attention to wannabe education providers who have no understanding at all of my profession.

Is this the same Joe you bragged on about being a quality education provider, and had min at your chater metings? ![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif)

jbushart wrote:
Joe T.,

I am concerned enough for my electrical safety to avoid paying attention to wannabe education providers who have no understanding at all of my profession.

Is this the same Joe you bragged on about being a quality education provider, and had him at your chater meetings? ![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif)

Originally Posted By: jbushart

bkelly1 wrote:
jbushart wrote:
Joe T.,

Is this the same Joe you bragged on about being a quality education provider, and had him at your chater meetings? ![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif)

Yes. Why?

--

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Member - ESOP Committee
Member - Legislative Committee

Unique ID: 2D78-5D-405D07

Ben and Jim,

How about you guys debate your personal argument about Joe over in Spam? We're supposed to be discussing our concern for electrical safety here!

that was my last post on the subject.

Take it with a grain of salt, Ben. And remember that a great man once said “When I’m wrong I change my mind, what do you do?”

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

bwiley wrote:

I don't want Big Brother mandating that I wear protective clothing to protect me from myself. But remember, I don't like helmet laws for motorcycles, seat belt laws for cars (except for children), or most other laws that take away our decisions about our own lives. If I or anyone else makes an informed decision knowing the risks, we can proceed with caution and act accordingly.

thats why i love living in New Hampshire. hell, every lisence plate says "LIVE FREE OR DIE" right on the top. know it, live it, love it. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

bwiley wrote:

Blaine, I agree with you that government should not be taking away our decisions about our own lives. However I also understand why those laws are in place.

My feeling is that, up here anyway, it is more a matter of cost reduction. Its the ones that get seriously hurt but live that put an enormous drian on our public heath care system for the rest of thier lives. A perfect citizen for the government is one who works constantly all of their adult life without injurory and dies quickly the day after they retire.

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Quote:
Its the ones that get seriously hurt but live that put an enormous drian on our public heath care system for the rest of thier lives.

That is why I fight tooth and nail against "national health care". Just another place for the government to suck us dry!! ![icon_evil.gif](upload://1gvq2wV2azLs27xp71nuhZOKiSI.gif)

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Since most of you guys operate as sole proprietors OSHA does not really affect you. When you do have employees it is not the government as much as your insurance carrier that pushes PPE. The government is just their agent.

You may decide you don’t need extraordinary protection to open a panel but good eye protection should be a minimum. The skin on your face will grow back, but your eyes won’t.

Originally Posted By: lkage

Greg Fretwell wrote:

You may decide you don't need extraordinary protection to open a panel but good eye protection should be a minimum. The skin on your face will grow back, but your eyes won't.

Good point...I can't imagine being blind.

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: away

Greg and other Electricians,

What would you suggest for gloves?

I have been to White Safety Line and see they have various styles.

I remember reading a post somewhere that had this link and a recommendation, just can't remember the class level recommended and can't find the post.

I think the recommendation was for a Class I but looking at that website, that class seems like overkill unless I don't understand the protection level designation.

--
Andrew Way
Keystone Residential Inspection Services PLLC
www.keystoneinspections.com

Originally Posted By: rcooke

away wrote:

I remember reading a post somewhere that had this link and a recommendation, just can't remember the class level recommended and can't find the post.

I think the recommendation was for a Class I but looking at that website, that class seems like overkill unless I don't understand the protection level designation.

I don't wear gloves .

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: tallen

jbushart wrote:
Joe T.,

You need to do the PPE thing, or eventually you will pay.

00 gloves and a good set of goggles would do you well when checking the panels.

Just my oppinion , but sound addvice non the less.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: tallen

rcooke wrote:
away wrote:

I don't wear gloves .

Do you use the back of your hand to check for current?

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005