Are weep holes flush with the ground okay?

Hi guys! Newbie here - are weep holes flush with the ground okay, and is it okay if they’re flush with the ground and below the DPC?

Thanks!

What’s DPC? Like many things with inspecting you have to think like a drop of water. To that end, there really isn’t a good answer to your question. Flush with the ground? Does the ground slope away and will the water run away? Or will it stagnate/clog the opening? Fwiw, weep holes aren’t likely to see much water. I suppose if I need to come up with an answer I’d say no, they should be elevated but I have to think I’ve seen weep holes on the lowest course of bricks sitting at grade level on a sidewalk, etc. and haven’t commented. Doesn’t strike me as one you’re likely to get sued out of business over either way.

1 Like

Thanks Matt! DPC is damp proof course. In this case, the ground was flush. I see this all the time, including at my home, and not sure whether it’s an issue as a bricklayer recently told me it was fine.

Let me put it this way, excluding weep-holes, what is brick masonry ground clearance? The DPC level must be at least 100 mm above unprotected ground and 25 mm above permanent paving.

1 Like

What is a Damp Proof Course (DPC)? - TheGreenAge

• DPC stands for Damp Proof Course. It is a layer of waterproof material installed in the walls, floors, and roofs of buildings.
  • The primary purpose of DPC is to create a barrier against rising dampness by preventing moisture from infiltrating the structure.
4 Likes

Generally…no. Brick/masonry/stucco veneer should be six inches above grade or mulch and two inches above flatwork. I see it closer all the time without problems, but we don’t have a lot of invasive bugs (termites) or water. In places with termites and more rain, this gap is more important.

2 Likes

Much appreciated, Marcel. I forgot to post that.
Keep well.
Robert

And like @mfellman said. I think while there are codes there are certain things in certain areas that are just standard. Weep holes in my climate are nearly non-existent on anchored brick veneer installs, up until this year.

1 Like

Agree. I can’t remember the last time I saw weeps on a Residential, unless it was a newer, large multi-family… which generally puts it in the same category as Commercial properties, (which mostly always have visible weeps).

Drainage Planes and Weep Holes in Brick Walls | Team Engineering (myteamengineering.com)

Global web icon
Advanced Building Products
https://www.advancedbuildingproducts.com/wp-content…

[PDF]

Technical Notes B on Brick Construction - Advanced Building …

WEBCare should to taken to ensure that flashing and weep holes are placed far enough above grade, typically 8 in. (200 mm), so that they will not be covered by future grading or …

2 Likes

Exactly. Commercial Always, Townhomes, mostly, Residential, maybe like 2 times.

1 Like