Armor cable?

Are you able to just run Romex for the garbage disposal, or should armor cable be used for safety?

Regards
Gary

Not sure if pic went through, got bumped off

Needs conduit…

0627-disposal-small.gif

Romex is not really legal but ity is common. It will ultimately get back to “physical damage”, “closely following building finish” and “supporting/securing”. A flexible raceway is the code legal way. Greenfield or liquidtite.

That is why a lot of buiilders just order the disposal with cord and plug.

Hey Shawn,

Where did you get the scetch drawing of the plumbing? I like it & wonder where I could get these? Thanx

This one is from the Carson & Dunlop collection, “The Illustrated Home”. Some of the pics are out of date or don’t apply, but in general, customers find it easy to follow. You may want to look into the Inspection Depot catalog, this may be a better option if you are looking for something up to date (in color).

Securing and supporting of sealtight is almost the same as NM cable, but is not permitted more than 3 ft apart (NM cable is 4 1/2 ft).
Sealtight is not permitted to be installed where subject to physical damage, the same as NM cable. I can see NM cable being installed in this situation, unless there are some more severe conditions than normally seen under sinks.

I can see where there is not sufficient protection under the sink the sealtight being pulled from it’s connector, exposing open conductors.

I guess if there is a lot of traffic under the sink that will cause harm to the rommex, plug it in plug it in. ha. ha.

Marcel:) :slight_smile:

Amazing enough the cord and plug is used and is the method we happen to use BUT still would be subject to as much damage as NM-B would be. Basically, I do not have a problem IF the romex is used in this method…but my choice to simply put a receptacle under the sink ( which i also do for the DishWasher as well under the sink and allow the cord to pass through the cabinet which is allowed.)

While NM is subject to damage…I dont see it being a severe risk…not so sure a can of AJAX weighs enough to damage the conductor…just as long as it is not sitting down on the base of the area…where things could be sat on the cable…I dont have that large of a problem with it…not withstanding the code issues…which greg correctly stated.

Pierre, how do you get past the requirement that NM be secured within 12" of the termination and the “closely follow the building finish” language?
Sealtite gives you this relief “installed in lengths not exceeding 900 mm (3 ft) at terminals where flexibility is required”

I always sleeve the romex in smurf tube (ENT).