Asphalt Shingles

Originally Posted By: osmith
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello all,

As you will guess from my question, I am a begining inspector. I was wondering if anyone could share ways that they estimate the age of asphalt shingles. I've seen old look new and old look old. I haven't seen new look old, but I have seen it not properly or professionally done. I would appreciate any feedback that can be given.

thank you,

Oscar

Originally Posted By: dhadler

Hi Oscar,

This is probably the most difficult and controversial subjects. You ask 10 people and you’ll probably get 10 different answers. Hopefully they will be in the same ball park though.

Ages 1-5 just look new, lay nice and flat, edges of shingles crisp and totally covered with granules. If they have just been done nails will still be shiny and usually some plastic strips still hanging around from the tar strips. there's always some loose nails laying here and there that havn't been washed into the eves from the weather. Spacing between shingles ~1/4"

Age 6-10 Evidence of slight granule loss on the bottom edges of the shingles. Spacing between shingles usually increases to about 5/16 "
Starting to develop an unevenness, not perfectly flat like when new.

Age 11-15 Increased granule loss on edges of shingles and corners will start lifting and curling slightly. Spacing may increase to about 3/8"

Age 16-20 As above but much more noticeable, You can usually tell as you drive up to the house. The felt part is usually fairly visible as the granules are probably missing from the edges. Spacing has probably increased to the 1/2" mark.

This is for the average 20 year weight 3 tab shingle. BUT... Ventilation and local weather can adversely affect the life and aging process. Dark colors don't fair as well as lighter ones either. The dark ones tend to cook much quicker and that can take a few years off their life, in hot sunny climates.

Hope it helps some ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Darrell Hadler
Five Star Home Inspections
Medicine Hat, Alberta CANADA

It does.

Thanks,

Oscar

Originally Posted By: five.five

really dumb question, but why do you need to know the approximate age of an asphalt shingle roof?

Darren

Originally Posted By: dspencer

five.five wrote:
really dumb question, but why do you need to know the approximate age of an asphalt shingle roof?

Darren

Major reason so you know how many years until you need to fork out cash for a new one. A lot of new home buyers could afford a roof replacement 1st few years of owning a house.

five.five wrote:

Darren

Asphalt shingle roofs are the most common type of roof in my area that I service. If a client is purchasing a home with a 2yr old roof its good for them to know that they wont have to replace it anytime soon. However; if a client is purchasing a home with a 20yr old roof, it will be beneficial to them to know that they can expect to replace it really soon or even worse, damage to their newly acquired home due to a roof covering failing. Finally, it could become a bargaining tool for them.

was just wondering, because HI’s are not supposed to guess the lifespan of a roof, appliance, etc… icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dhadler

Guess. What’s the first question that comes out of the clients mouth ?

How long do you think it will last before I need to replace it?

I know I exceed NACHI's SOP, but my customer is paying for some type of professional opinions. That is why they hired me in the first place. I for one will not cop out with suggesting that they hire a specific trade for every little thing just to keep my a$$ out of the fire. I will give them my opinion (and that's all they really want) as a guide line, not as a guarantee or warranty, which my disclaimer reads.

After all, most just want a knowledgeable, honest persons opinion about the home they are going to purchase, not a cop out on every page to hire a specific tradesman in every field...they could have have done that on their own if they wanted to spend a $1000. That phrase can get pretty old...pretty fast.

That's just the way I see it anyway. I may get burned somewhere down the line, but in this business it's not IF... it's WHEN ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

Life goes on...keep smiling

--
Darrell Hadler
Five Star Home Inspections
Medicine Hat, Alberta CANADA

I know that will be the first question out of a client’s moutn, it was the same question I asked when I bought my first home years ago. icon_biggrin.gif

I was wondering how some HI handled the questions that are going to come up.

That is some good advice, thank you.

Darren