Shingles and the roof, what do you think?

Originally Posted By: kluce
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Found a little damage at two places with some curling on about 10% of the roof. The roof does show about 15 years wear. How would you write this?

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/oiu.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/oiuhg.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: psisler

Hi Kevin,

With your evaluation on the roof being about fifteen (15) years old, and the type of shingles used (three (3) tab) I would definitely say (this being my opinion as I have put up a number of roofs in my day) that this roof has reached its life span. With all of the variable (i.e. walking on the roof, weather, etc) it is time for a new roof. This is a hard one to explain, especially if there are no leaks or no evidence in the attic of such. Three tab shingles are cheap per se. The manufacturer will boast twenty-five (25) years but the most you can expect in reality is about 10- 15 years. There will be, I am sure, those that will say that the roof is okay. I don't think so. Cover your behind and explain to the client that the age of the roof is in question at best. My wife is from Indiana and she said her father replaced the three tab shingled roof twice in twenty years. Take care.

Patrick M. Sisler
Alta Sierra Home Inspections
altasierrahi@lycos.com
530-272-7242

Originally Posted By: rsummers

Granules missing in areas with shingles curling and showing signs of age roof may be near its useful life recommend evaluation by professional.

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

Kevin:

I agree with earlier posts, the roof is in need of replacement. Be sure to check the attic for proper ventilation. If there is one thing that will destroy a shingle roof quickly it is inadequate ventilation.

Regards,

--
Russell G. Cloyd
Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591
www.intra-spechomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Kirk Smith

Kevin,

"Asphalt Composition roof is approx 15 yrs old with a life expectancy of 15-20 yrs. Evidence of curling and cupping. Budget for replacement at anytime"

--
Kirk Smith
Welcome Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: tallen

The composition shingles on this roof appear to be fifteen years old or older, but this is only an estimate and you should request the installation permit, which will reveal its exact age and any guarantee or warranty that might be applicable. However, it is in the primary stages of decomposition, which means that the roof is in decline and will be more susceptible to leaks, and should be monitored and maintained more closely.

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

The curling and surface wear observed on the roof surface indicate that the roof shingles are nearing the end of their useful life. Random failures may occur at any time. Recommend you obtain a roof certification or estimate of repairs/replacement from a qualified licensed roofing contractor.