Atrium Recalls SafeHarbor Windows Due to Impact Injury Hazard

Name of product: **SafeHarbor **vinyl impact windows

Hazard:
The glass can separate from the frame during hurricane conditions, posing an impact injury hazard.

Remedy:
Repair

Consumer Contact:
Atrium at 800-377-6524 from 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, email at 65impactproducts@atriumwindows.com or online at www.atriumwindows.com and click on “Safety Alert” for more information.

Thank you Jeff.

Thanks Jeff. I don’t think you will find these in Florida though. There is no product approval for this series.

That’s not entirely accurate…actually it’s just plain wrong.

The Series 65 windows have attained compliance with AAMA 506 (ASTM E 1886 & ASTM E 1996) standards, so they are compliant for use according to the Florida Building Code.

**R301.2.1.2 Protection of openings. **
Glazed openings in buildings located in windborne debris regions shall be protected from windborne debris. Glazed opening protection for windborne debris shall meet the requirements of the Large Missile Test of ASTM E 1996 and ASTM E 1886 referenced therein, SSTD 12, TAS 201, 202 and 203 or AAMA 506, as applicable.

Also, as you should know, state wide approval isn’t required for use of the window assembly within Florida…there are other ways of attaining “approval”.

I saw that too on their site, but I could not find any approval # for that series. I did find a few approvals from Atrium in the 2007 cycle, but they were not for this series.