Impact Resistant?

See attached.

FL # 1190.2 … is this impact resistant? Yes, no or not enough information?

I say there is not enough information but I’d like to get some input from others.

Thanks.

Based on what you have provided, it looks like the door complies with ASTM 1996 and PA 201,202, ans 203- so I would say yes- the product approval indicates compliance. It does clarify to say that if sidelights (glazed openings) are present, they will need to be protected by other means. Does the door in question have glazed openings?

No glazed openings. Thanks, Steve.

The reason I am leaning towards “not enough information” is because it’s left blank for “Impact Resistant” under FL # 1190.2 (the 2nd page). A lot of times it is marked with a “yes” or “no”.

Here’s an example…

http://www.floridabuilding.org/pr/pr_app_dtl.aspx?param=wGEVXQwtDquGot0kaJvZZ7KlyaXfJCD4Wwali43S%2BPQ%3D

…FL # 102.1, 102.2 and 102.3 are left blank while FL # 102.4 and 102.5 have a “yes” marked for Impact Resistant.

The reason there is no selection for “impact resistance” is because of the w/ or w/o sidelight option for that approval. If there is any glazing at all for that unit as a whole, it will need additional storm protection. You can’t go by the testing protocols on the first page. Each approval # subset will have to be researched further by the description block or the installation sheets.

Thanks, Bradley.

Does not need to be checked yes or no for impact resistant. The product approval document indicates that is approved for use in the HVAZ which requires large missile impact rating, as well as page # 1 showing tested pa 201,202,203.

Not all products approved for use in the HVHZ are impact rated. The NOA will stipulate if additional protection is needed.

You DO have to dig deeper sometimes to verify if a product with options is indeed Level D large missile tested and approved. The testing standards are the basis for the parent approval number, not all the subsets. If you are only looking at the standards on the front page of the FL approval, you could be wrong…

Brad
Lecsi2@gmail.com

Read chapter 44 of the FBCR and all of your concerns will be answered. If a product is approved and installed within the HVAZ it will meet or exceed the requirement of 1802.
If we are talking outside the HVAZ or WBDP that is another matter

I have read it. What I am saying is that if you go to the MDC approval site, you WILL find products that have a valid NOA without being impact rated. It is true that the final installation (with approved protection) must be impact rated in the HVHZ. A lot of inspectors make the false assumption that if a door or window has a MDCA sticker on it, then it must be impact rated…This is not always true and must be verified with the NOA. This is also true outside the HVHZ in a WBDR.

Miami-Dade approved does not mean impact rated, even for a window or door.

I could not agree more. Let’s not mix apples and oranges a system can have a product approval for air infiltration, water infiltration, design pressures and not be impact rated. My earlier point is if it has a MDA rating for large missle it can be used anywhere in the state as the testing protocol for large missile is more stringent in the HVAZ. For those interested I have attached a document that specifies the approved testing criteria for large missile impact and the difference between test protocol for the HVAZ and for areas outside the HVAZ. The document also specifies what each test is and how to identify by labeling

Thanks all for your input. I think Bradley’s explanations as to how to read these approvals in posts #4 and #7 are excellent.

Mark, I may be missing something but I do not see where the document (attachment in post #1) indicates that it is approved for the HVHZ. I see where the approval states “Approved for use in the HVHZ:” but then it is left unfilled (no “yes” or “no” entered).

Also, thanks for the attachment…it is interesting.