Attic Inspection with Rodents

I recently did a home inspection in which I found a lot of rodent feces in the attic all over the blown in insulation. There’s obvious signs of water infiltration as well. I’m writing it up as all of that insulation needs to be removed because of the rodent feces once it dries I believe it becomes harmful to breathe in.
I spoke to another inspector who said that the insulation did not need to be removed and to write it up as a pest problem.
I’m also writing up further evaluation by a licensed roofing professional to determine where leak is coming from to stop that.
What would you recommend?

Personally, I would just write what I observed and have it further evaluated by a professional pertaining to the industry. For instance " Observed possible rodent droppings in various locations on the insulation. This could be evidence of rodent activity and/or infestation in the areas and it is recommend that a licensed pest control company further evaluate as to the extent and any mitigation that may be necessary." Add pictures to what you observed.

7 Likes

Thank you Thomas!

1 Like

It would have to be pretty excessive amount of feces for me to recommend removal of the insulation. Like, as much feces as insulation, lol. Do you have any pics?

1 Like

Maybe like this?

A lot of it is damp as well.

Thanks for the input

1 Like

Call the Professional…

5 Likes

That’s a normal amount for my area. I agree with the other inspector. It is not enough to warrant removal of the insulation. Could recommend removal of the damp insulation if they feel so inclined though. I would focus more on prevention of the rodent entry in your report.

1 Like

words of advice
clients will get orkin, servicepro or 1 of the other ripoff firms out there based on your report verbiage
they’ll tell clients all insulation must be removed and any damaged/urinated on surfaces must be treated with their proprietary treatment
the last of more than 5 bills a client came after me with was for over $7k
my response did you read my report & go pound sand letter & went away immediately
idiot admitted in an email reply he didn’t have time to read the report
i ain’t your huckleberry

5 Likes

Kinda looks like raccoons. Hard to tell.

2 Likes

Raccoon’s or Possum’s. Either way, this was at the top of the pull down stairs. I went NO FURTHER!

2 Likes

Opened the attic hatch at an inspection a few years ago and this came raining down on me.

3 Likes