Attic Insulation

Originally Posted By: charper
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Today in Georgia (Zone 3) attic insulation is required to be R49. Does anyone have the figures for the year 2000? Was it R49 then too?

Charlie

Originally Posted By: scieslewicz

Charlie,

Wow, I was frantic when my jurisdiction went with the 2000 IRC which said that we had to have R49!! Then it was amended to keep the R30 in the attic. Check with the municipality to see. Usually it is calculated using HDDs (heating degree days).

Are you just curious or are you trying to determine R value? Determining R value is beyond the scope of the home inspector. If you have a copy of the 2000 or 2003 IRC, refer to Chapter 11.

When you get R values at 49 for attics, usually the exterior wall and floor R values are in the 21 range. That requires larger than normal framing or a "non-typical" insulation!!

Sue

Originally Posted By: charper

Thanks Sue,

I inspected a home in April of this year. It was built in 2002. This week the owner is selling and the buyers got a new inspection. He stated that the house needed R49. I disagreed. After all our inspections are NOT code inspections. When the house was built in 2002 the code required R30, (I think). Me thinks this HI is a little overzealous.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

R49 icon_question.gif Did Ga. move way up north.

Now that is some heavy duty insulation for the south.

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

Welcome aboard Susan.

Originally Posted By: scieslewicz

icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks Larry!!! Nice to be here.

Originally Posted By: Guest

By joining NACHI, Susan just brought the whole association up a notch.

She’s extremely bright, articulate, witty, and so nice it leaves a sweet taste in your mouth when she posts.

She is a code guru and I've never known her to be cross, complacent or unethical. She will become one of NACHI's most valued resources.

Originally Posted By: jbehling

Chad Fabry wrote:
By joining NACHI, Susan just brought the whole association up a notch.
She's extremely bright, articulate, witty, and so nice it leaves a sweet taste in your mouth when she posts.

She is a code guru and I've never known her to be cross, complacent or unethical. She will become one of NACHI's most valued resources.

Gee Chad, nicest thing I have read coming from you on this board, I was getting all choked up.... next thing I know we will see a green YES beside your member status ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Originally Posted By: aslimack

Susan,

Excellent. I've seen your posts elsewhere enough times that it didn't faze me that i was seeing you here. (And i'm paid to be observant) Nice addition

Adam

Originally Posted By: aslimack

And yes, That was a tender moment for Chad…

Originally Posted By: tallen

Welcome Susan icon_biggrin.gif

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005