Attic Temperature in the summer

Originally Posted By: lschmid
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Is there a rule of thumb as to when you will not go into an attic because it is too hot? If so, how and where do you measure it? How do you write it up in your report? Thanks.

Larry Schmid

First Choice Home Inspection,Inc.

South Carolina Chapter President

www.1stchoicehomeinspection.com

A SAFE HOME IS A HAPPY HOME

Originally Posted By: mthomas

Good question. I know OSHA has guidelines about this. I was in an attic this week, using my lil ol’ digital thermometer, I had a reading of 157 F aiwebs_027.gif .

Originally Posted By: rsummers

I’m glad I wasn’t you that day it just started hitting the 100 degree mark out here last week. I cant wait for fall aiwebs_016.gif

Originally Posted By: dvalley

These high temperatures can also drastically reduce the life of the roofing material.

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: mrose

Hi Larry,

If it is so hot in an attic that I have trouble breathing then I won't enter it and write in the report my reason.

--
Mike Rose
Cornerstone Home Inspection Co. LLC
Lawrenceville, GA

www.cornerstonehomeinspect.com

Originally Posted By: dbowers

I don’t go in attics when the temperature is over 160 degrees. At those temperatures, I send my assistant instead.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

The attics here are routinely 150 + degrees in the afternoon from May to Sept. regardless of the amount of ventilation. The attic is the last place I go on the inspection due to the sweat factor. I must admit, I have taken a liking to white tile roofs as those attics are noticeably cooler! icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: mcraig

I enter all attics, They are a source of major information on the roof, insulation, plumbing, wiring and ventilation. Heat is irrelevant I am in Phoenix, AZ I have seen attics just under 185 deg. Here are some simple ideas for all of you. If it is way to hot to enter take your digital camera up in the access opening and take pictures in a full circle then go down the ladder and evaluate them. You miss a lot of information by not entering attics and crawl spaces. I have had friends that have been nailed for missing things in there reports that would have been found by just looking around from the access opening. I don’t understand why some of our members are in this business if they don’t want to do a complete job? I read postings all the time from members looking for a way to not do something. I love this job and I go out of my way to get all the information I can for my customers ( I guess that is why I have all most doubled my business in the last 2 months even with 150 HI’s in my area) Stop complaining about things you need to do and just do them in the time it takes to complain you could have the attic done. icon_razz.gif icon_razz.gif icon_razz.gif