Basement Emergency Escape Opening?

I inspected a home with a walkout basement that was recently remodeled. Each room had a window that opened except for one in the main back of the home. Is this room required to have emergency escape and rescue opening even though it’s a walkout basement?

No, but it should not be used as a sleeping quarters.

2 Likes

If used as a bedroom, YES!

Got me Brian… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

It’s appears to be used as sleeping quarters currently, so would I recommend there be an opening installed?

1 Like

No, I would say. “This room does not have adequate egress to be used as a sleeping room. Day use only.”

2 Likes

Yep, I would do similar.

1 Like

And or advertised as such. Owners will put beds everywhere and say it’s “bedrooms.” We put in our reports a that a bed or ‘sleeping’ areas were observed in rooms where it’s not permitted to have such.

2 Likes

OK this is all getting very confusing. So, there is also no installed heating source. Would this be required since there is no closet in this room?

You do not have to heat the basement. However, you should note these rooms are not heated because the basement is finished.

You do not need to worry about closets.

If there was no bed in that room, you would not have to report the egress issue. But, since there is a bed it is best to point it out.

I think @tglaze reports on how the home is listed. I do not do that, but it is not a bad thing.

To clarify, if the home is “listed” and advertised in a manner that is subject to standards of discretion, I will note it in my report for my client’s evaluation and use going forward. My report list # of BR/BTH

For example; Listing states: " 4 BR/ 3Bath…"
I get to the house and it’s 2 levels with 2 BR’s on the main, finished basement with one BR with proper exterior egress. One room closed off to the interior with no proper egress.

I mention to my clients and note it in the report, that the house is a 3/3 and any 4th bedroom is not recognized as such.

1 Like

Get rid of that last part! It is considered ‘opinion’ and NOT fact!
Many laws, such as Minnesota’s Smoke alarm and Carbon Monoxide alarm regulations have been worded in some cases as “…rooms suitable for sleeping…”, which would include sofa beds, daybeds, futons. This was stated to eliminate the loophole that you inferred!

3 Likes

Ever see or hear of portable closets, aka… Armoire?

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Armoires/19114/subcat.html?featuredproduct=19897094&featuredoption=43095684&kid=9553000357392&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=25821410-000-001&cnc=US&cid=309174&type=&targetid=pla-307048903645&track=pspla&gclid=Cj0KCQjw16KFBhCgARIsALB0g8IUpuI2DmPv_BvtfeuWZtTbZhS7Hqwohes5qPDivD6YmqVOeywAdqQaAp_4EALw_wcB

2 Likes

There was a mini split system in the basement but no permanent source in that specific room, would you still note the issue with that being said? What would be a good generalized comment for both of these scenarios?

1 Like

Agreed.

I typically say something like this. “At the time of inspection, the basement room was staged or used as an apparent sleeping room (and Thomas could add “advertised as a sleeping room”). Customer should be aware this room is not suitable for use as a sleeping room due to inadequate egress”

What ya’ll think about that?

2 Likes

I always state it as such. last thing I need is a client asking me about a non-bedroom.

1 Like

Just say that. Your opinion matters, if you want to make it a defect for correction, go ahead or you can make it a general comment or FYI.

I appreciate it thank you for your help.

1 Like