basement insullation - vapor barrier help

Are you sure about that? Where did all that moisture come from? Hmmm? If you are missing weep holes, the moisture has to go somewhere. Just sayin’.

Agree, but in building science, it’s (mostly) all related. :wink:

Brick veneer was in front but behind the wall with the moisture meter was vinyl siding and the foundation was exposed with acceptable lot grade or in this case concrete gangway.Brick only at front.
Never figured the cause.(yes that bothers me) Oh well.
Was a 2 flat with front basement walled off to the first floor.I was inspecting 2nd floor and basement utility area (rear basement)(condo) at 2nd floor).

Sounds like a screwed up mess which will give that wall assembly some major problems down the road. :slight_smile:

Yeah I told my client to rip out the plastic.Foundation was fine with above grade sill plate.

Just got this in my email this morning.

Marcel this why you need to know you local jurisdiction . In our region it is regulation to have the vapor barrier on the inside of the stud wall . I’m not saying it’s the right way , but the regulators do . :D:D:D

As it is over here Allan. For exterior walls, yes, for basements where it can not dry to the outside, no.

Seen to many problems with basement moisture, and mold issues caused by a low permeance vapor barrier against the foundation walls. :slight_smile:

I have to agree with you on this Marcel . Some regulations just don’t seem to make sense !:smiley:

An Article here that Roy posted on another thread that is realitive to the discussion.

RR**RR-0309: Renovating Your Basement **

Good Information explaining better what I was trying to convey earlier. :slight_smile: