Bathroom vent location?

Originally Posted By: David Suelflow
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I inspected a new condo yesterday and the exhausts for the bathrooms are located, in my opinion, poorly. One is above a single hung bedroom window (about 4-5 feet from opening sash) the other is directly above the main entry door. I?ve been looking for proper clearances and locations but cannot find them. I think they need to be 3 feet from an inlet but not sure. Regardless, how would you like your bathroom venting directly above the door your guests are waiting at? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave

Originally Posted By: Craig Shap

If I understand you correctly, one vent is directed to the exterior and the other is directed back into the interior. I think regardless of code regualtions and specifications. I do beleive the vents should be direct exiting the exterior of the home.

CAS Atl GA.

The Hometeam Inspection Service

No they both vent to the exterior, through the soffits. One above a window and the other over the front door. I wish I could upload a picture but for some reason I cannot. All I get is “Error on page”.

Originally Posted By: jpope

I see these quite often. This one is directly above the patio entry. It’s the exhaust for the bathroom vent and dryer vent. The dryer exhaust was a modified installation that was causing problems in this case.

![](upload://sXLdfTLL8FawjyzWJdZj6uNGGJo.jpeg)

I think that these are actually considered okay because they're "above" the openings.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: cmccann

David, Where are you located? What is the climate? Venting to the soffit is perfectly ok, but not the preferred method where I’m at. Venting above a door is surly not ideal, but a simple suggestion to relocate would be a good idea and my recommendation. Knowing the proper measurement is beyond my scope.

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: dsmith1

In my area venting to the soffit is always a defect. The warm humid air will rise back into the attic and if the prevailing wind is towards the side with the vent it will also blow the humid air back into the attic. I have seen many soffit vents that show no signs of trouble but the problem is that if house is resold shortly after the inspection the next inspector would probably call it out.

Originally Posted By: kluce

In Kentucky, the city inspector would not allow venting to the soffit for the same reason given above. But in this part of Indiana, it is allowed. Some companies use termination kits for the soffit but most don’t.

The best way (I think) to vent a bathroom vent is through the roof with a termination kit; but I must say, I haven't see any problems at this time when ran to the soffit. The areas I'm referring to are Wisconsin, Kentucky and Indiana.

Originally Posted By: scieslewicz

Venting to the soffit is NOT venting to the exterior!! The end of the duct must be to the exterior of the soffit (usually through a coin fitting). There are roof terminating vents as well The soffit is still the “interior” of the dwelling.

The purpose of a soffit vent is to get "intake" air for the attic area. Having a bath vent that terminates in the soffit makes the product of the bath vent part of the "intake".

As far as distance from windows/doors etc, the IRC does not address a distance; only that the bath vent must vent directly to the exterior. The International Fuel Gas code has specific mechanical vent termination distances but that is for other types of venting.

Sue

I agree it is not really to the exterior, but around here (NC) they allow it in soffits if it penetrates through the soffit. As for being over the main entry door…I think it stinks.

Thank for the input,

dave