Tell me one more time

Originally Posted By: jremas
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

If I hear one more contractor/builder tell me it is OK to put the bathroom vent into the soffit vent, I am going off the deep end then I am going to show him/her this picture.

The soffit is an INLET, not an outlet!

I repeat, INLET......Put the damn thing through the roof and insulate the piping. By the way, this in not charred from a fire, this is a mildew/mold like substance that is growing and spreading if you look..

![](upload://nif2z7iOkn7QArtgnj7q4v1PNw0.jpeg)

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Jeff,

I would say that is a "text book" style pic not to vent to the softit. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: rwills

I couldn’t agree more, heres one: What happens when you angle a bath vent at an angled roof above a bedroom ceiling covered with blown insulation?

![](upload://zsTywp5u5eAkLfVeEayi0KA1CTs.jpeg)

The whole ceiling in the bedroom caved in! of course the drywall installer only using 3 nails in the field on 24"O.C. didn't help!

--
Bob Wills - MAB Chairman
BW Inspection Services
Warminster, Pa.
http://www.bwinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Nice pic’s monkeyboyz. Interesting upper chord splicing also! Engineered of course.

Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

Jeff I just looked again at that photo in the light of John's comment, I take it that the home is a modular and that, the Picture is showing the roof hinge ??

I don't know why they did not angle the bath vent the same as the stack so as to vent it properly in an area away from the roof joint. ( is this one of Premier's finest ??)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I can’t think of the last time I saw an exhaust vent from a bathroom routed anywhere, much less alone the soffit vent (which is allowed here). Now granted, it’s usually just about as humid in the attic after a shower as it is outside…

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Blaine,

that's the problem with living in the sun soaked north ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) the minute that warm moist air hits the attic space it condenses. and does the damage you see in Jeff's and Bob's pics.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I used to have to recommend it all the time in VA. Just had to pull everyones chain who has to deal with all of the wonderful things like, moisture condensation in attics, ice damming, oil boilers, etc.

Granted, we have our own issues. Ya gotta pick you poison, right? ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: jremas

The great part about this is that this is the 3rd home these folks picked and they picked it because they don’t like modulars. They wrote me a check and left as soon as I came out of the attic. I don’t see this one going to closing… OHHHHHHH DAMMMMN I am going to be a “DEAL KILLER” now!!!

How dare I tell them it is a modular and show them the moisture problem. Looks like all my referalls are over in the listing agents office.,.....OH well, par for the course!

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598