Beam for stair landing hung by 3/8" OSB, 14" braced wall for PFH with 3 stories?

Well, if they were building this home for me or I gave a deposit to buy it in that stage, something would have to give or they would shove it. Obviously, to operate like that, they have something to hide.
I spent 40 years with the same contractor on commercial buildings and anytime someone or a code officer or an engineer showed up, the plans were right there. Help yourself, I have nothing to hide.

1 Like

Down here in Austin the builders say that the plans are proprietary information and they really, really don’t want their clients or others to see them. I did a pre-pour inspection a while back and found the plans on site. About halfway into it the CM rocked up to say hi and I asked him about some of the contradictions between the plans and the build. Dude got pissed I had them, told me they weren’t for viewing and I had to hand them over.

Honestly, I prefer to do jobs without the plans as it is less liability for me (so I’ve heard), and faster to inspect without. But then you get cases like this where it would be great to take a look at this specific detail to see how they have it drawn. :woman_shrugging:

Anybody have any comment about the 14" braced wall supporting two stories and the roof?
According to IRC Table 602.10.5, minimum length of a braced wall at either side of garage opening supporting a roof is 16" and supporting a story and roof is 24". Here there are two stories and a roof.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen anything like that.

Inspecting framing without plans is pointless. You must have plans. Check with the local building department, once something is submitted to the local government it becomes public information.
When it comes to the garage frames, there is two types, prescriptive (as in the code book) or engineered. But without the approved set of plans you will never know.

I think this is a misleading to inspectors who are performing pre-drywall inspections.

In fact, I would encourage inspectors not to go this route and specifically exclude document review which implies a technically exhaustive inspection. What are the pitfalls? If the agreement is not worded precisely, an inspector might find themselves responsible for a closet wall that is placed 3" off from the plans. (as one example).

Performing an inspection which implies compliance with (framing, electrical, plumbing etc.) plans is a slippery slope. However, if you want to include document review and an exhaustive technical review in your scope of work, then that is an option. But IMO, an inspector best be very clear in their scope of work and purpose of the inspection. And expect to charge a very high fee. I would likely place this into the consulting category.

5 Likes

I was responding to the question above. Apparently, Casey already took a framing inspection job and was trying to figure it out because things were not looking right. Nothing wrong with that. To finish the inspection he will need to know if he deals with prescriptive or engineered design and for that reason he needs a set of approved building plans.

I agree, however, that framing is outside typical home inspection SOP therefore the scope and limitations should be clearly defined in the contract.

1 Like