Best meter to test exposed wires

Which is the best meter to use when testing for power on exposed wiring on say a light fixture that has been removed and the wires left exposed hanging from the ceiling.

I don’t use a meter for that, I use one of a couple different voltage sniffers. I have a GB and I have a Greenlee; you can pick either one up at Lowe’s for around $10 - 15. I carry one into the attics and crawls as well. Much easier to carry (about the size of a magic marker).

ditto

[quote=dedwards]
I don’t use a meter for that, I use one of a couple different voltage sniffers. I have a GB and I have a Greenlee; you can pick either one up at Lowe’s for around $10 - 15. I carry one into the attics and crawls as well. Much easier to carry (about the size of a magic marker)./quot

Same here. you can find some that will clip on your hat, and that will beep if you get too close in the dark. Yes I know you will have a flashlight, but every little thing helps. I clip mine on and it starts beeping if I get too close while checking something out and am not paying attention. I think I got the beeping one from Tool Experts. I have been trying to find another one but can’t. Any help on that front also.

Same here. you can find some that will clip on your hat, and that will beep if you get too close in the dark. Yes I know you will have a flashlight, but every little thing helps. I clip mine on and it starts beeping if I get too close while checking something out and am not paying attention. I think I got the beeping one from Tool Experts. I have been trying to find another one but can’t. Any help on that front also.
[/quote]

Keep us posted if you find the hat clip it sounds pretty cool.

Why would you want to test exposed wiring?
If it is exposed it needs to be written up either way, wouldn’t it?

[quote=iniquette]

Home Depot in Canada has them in stock…
Love the idea of clipping on the hat Will do that from now on …Cookie

Soon to be collectors items!

http://www.nachi.org/forum/showpost.php?p=321481&postcount=32

:wink:

Yes to they all should be written up, but for our own amusement we do like to know the stupid things people do right?? After then then we scratch our head and wonder what the heck were they thinking, and low and behold we post it all here for everyones amusement.:smiley:

http://www.nachi.org/forum/showpost.php?p=321594&postcount=34

I wish I had a nickle for every GB I left behind…