Best technology rig for new inspectors?

What is the least expensive “rig” that you can start with for doing actual inspections with the best technology compromises?

To better clarify the question here are a few of the issues I’ve come across and am having difficulty getting clear information to make this decision. For background, I really do not want to put my client data in the cloud, and would prefer to deliver my reports via email and download access from my own website, stored/uploaded to my server, not someone else’s server.

1. I don’t really want to have to create new accounts anywhere to use my “collection” device, whether that be a tablet or mobile phone. I purchased a Surface Pro 7+ only to discover that I needed a “Hello” (aka hotmail) account to create a login – not acceptable – never mind the tablet was too heavy, too large, and the photo quality seemed far inferior to my iPhone 6s.

2. I really would like to get away from Apple completely… but I don’t want to go to google either… are there any options here?

3. I thought about a 2-in-1 laptop but I couldn’t find a decent one that had a camera - I have a Lenovo ThinkPad that has probably been the best laptop I have ever owned, but it is an older T420 model and is maxed at 8gb RAM, but again no viable camera option and it doesn’t fold back to a tablet like device like the Lenovo X1 Yoga.

4. Software seems to be limited to Spectora, Home Inspector Pro (which is where I am now leaning towards), and HomInspect (which is slowly losing ground as I explore possibilities). I won’t consider HomeGauge with their recent move on client data, but I would like to confidently be able to deliver my inspection report no later than an hour after returning to my office - or on site if possible - though the latter seems to be available only, or mostly via cloud technologies - also not where I really want to go.

I’m sure I’m missing something else here, so any constructive feedback is most welcome.
Thanks!

PS: I plan to swap out my laptop for a new desktop sometime later this year, and as much as I’d like to ditch Microsoft, the reality is I’m probably stuck with either Win 10 or 11 (currently running win 7 Pro 64 on the Lenovo) because I use CorelDraw, Photoshop 7.x, and MS Office Suite 2007, Quickbooks Desktop Premier 2007 Accountant Edition, and a few other utility or ancillary applications - so info or opinions about either OS would also be helpful.

There are many, many more than those three. Do some Google searching and you will find at least another half-dozen popular ones, and another half-dozen under the radar ones.

1 Like

Every application you have stated is replaceable with various Linux based applications and guess what they’re FREE!

Buy a laptop that is Linux based OS. Load it with all the free software you want and need. Create your own report templates and you are not beholden to any report software company.

Buy a good camera, I use a Canon Powershot SX60 HS that can take a pic of a gnats ass at 100 Feet with many desirable capabilities. One of those capabilities is a quick manual aperture adjustment that allows me to take excellent pics in very low light.

Purchase either a RAID storage device or other separate external drives to store your reports/pictures on. Make sure you have back-ups if not a RAID 1 device. Now you have all your data locally and don’t ever have to be concerned with storing it elsewhere and whether or not it is hacked or gets lost.

Create your reports and export/copy them as PDF and send them out.

Spend a little for a hosting service to have your own internet domain name with email ability under your own domain. You can create your reports and send them out with no other online service/reporting software having them where they can be used, lost, etc.

4 Likes

Thanks Emmanuel,
I’ve already secured my LLC name, domain name, and website (using wordpress), just got snagged on the reporting software. I do plan on adding external RAID storage to that desktop as soon as I can afford it - I was thinking about going RAID 5 though as that is what I’m familiar with.

I never thought about using a powershot camera for report photos - I think I got tunnel-visioned into the idea of only using a cellphone or tablet for that purpose… I’ll have to give more thought to this suggestion though - I’m kinda liking it the more I think about it.

Just so I’m clear, you are suggesting that I use a laptop (running Linux) to do my reports - correct?

I use a manual back-up system with two external USB drives. I don’t use any compression, locks, etc., etc., and store all data in its original form. For my canned comments and any other specialty items they are also backed up on these drives. I have two Linux laptops set up with all the software needed and it is kept updated and conditions mirrored. On the rare occasion (they are rare with Linux) that something happens I can carry a drive to the other laptop and be ready to write the report in about 10 extra minutes.

Keeping the data in its original form prevents issues from compression, encryption, etc., from occurring when moving from one computer to another. Before I went to Linux it was not uncommon, just as anywhere else, for Microscrew to FU and cost A WHOLE LOT OF TIME correcting. As an example of the power of Linux I can wipe a computers drive (reformat) and completely reload the OS and applications in literally about an hour. Try that with Microscrew Winders!

For the camera a lot of Inspectors use their phones but none of these phones have the picture quality and resolution a good camera has. I take all pictures in very high resolution (again storage is so cheap). Once they are copied to the computer the originals are kept separate and another copy is made that a FREE image reduction program is used to reduce them to 640 X 640 and the quality is astounding! I’ll add one here. Plenty of times the camera catches things the eye just can’t see. High resolution allows you to expand the image greatly and see these things. The Powershot has all the neat features like bluetooth, etc., if you want quick movement, etc.

The only advantage of not using the laptop (computer) method for doing your reports is to kick the report out on site. I’m going to get beat up for saying this but that IMO is nothing but trouble as it does not promote properly doing the job and when needed analyzing what you found. Instead you get to give the client poor resolution pictures and less than a thought out report. Doing it back in the office will take a little more time but will be much more complete and thorough which is what the client needs.

LibreOffice is really a very useful application. If you’re in to it you can use macros and and all kinds of extra stuff to work faster. I have built report templates for the various types of inspections and even variants when needed of those types. The common problems are already in the templates and if there it is just dropping in the pictures and possibly massaging the comment for that home. If not there then the comments are removed.

These are a couple of pics of a very recent inspection. I could see from the ground with my eyes something was not right at this window with the lintel and sealants. I took the pics and even the 640 X 640 pic shows the double lintel over the window, the gap, and lack of sealants. There were other brick issues (veneer) with the house and this was just another to add to the report. Without a good image it most likely would have been passed up. These are high res (4+ MB) images compressed to 640 X 640 (75 KB) for addition to the report. Look at the clarity in the low resolution image.

BTW can you see the lintel issue other than corrosion and sealants?

IMG_0056
IMG_0058

1 Like

That’s what I do. Not knocking on-site reporting but it’s just not for me. Office time is a large part of my process. And like you demonstrated, a decent camera just adds to the quality of my reporting.

4 Likes

You are just starting out. Purchase nothing!
Use a camera to take images. Write reports at home.
Get the feel for inspecting. As well, you have to build your brand.
It takes time.

1 Like

Hi William…

I’m not opposed to online services, I’m opposed to using services that capture my business, do what they want with MY data, and expose me to security breaches… Google and Amazon (including AWS) have both repeatedly been compromised with a myriad of security breaches (at least 25 for Amazon/AWS since 2014) - so it’s a false sense of security in my opinion to think they are more secure.

Incidentally, I spent about 4 years in cyber-security for the federal government - before the creation of USCYBERCOM. I don’t want to be back in that world, and had hoped that I wouldn’t have to revisit it with a small one-horse home inspection company in rural Kansas. Looks like I might have been in error with that thought.

Thanks for your input though.

PS: People think cellphones are secure too - they’re not!

2 Likes

I think we’re just gonna have to agree to disagree over that comment.

I missed this on your earlier comment, but NON-Cloud options (Gateways) like Stripe, PayPal, and even Authorize.net are available to process CC or digital payments (both physically if desired and online from MY website without MY storing any of that data) and thus transferring the PCI compliance requirements to those services, so non-cloud payment processing does exist… just thought you should know that.

Before I wrap this up - I do want to thank you for voicing your thoughts and opinions. While they were mostly antithetical to my original framework, your comments have caused me to think more deeply about the options and positions expressed. In the end, I do intend to stick with that framework as much as possible, which places me on a different path than what you have taken, and that’s perfectly ok in my opinion… Again… Sincerely… Thank you for ensuring this was not a one-sided conversation.

I also want to say how sincerely I appreciate ALL of the commentary on this thread…
Ryan Uecker - Thank You for opening my eyes to options NOT on the InterNACHI site.
Robert Young - Excellent points about returning to the basics and building the foundation!
Brian Cawhern and especially Emmanual Scanlan - THANK YOU BOTH for helping expand on the framework I presented in my question and providing options that work within those boundaries. That information will probably be crucial as I move forward.

Happy New Year and much success to you all!

Happy New Year to you as well. I learned a lot from your posts. And, you are not alone. I am considering leaving Home Gauge as soon as possible because I do not like being exploited or used and I feel an obligation to my clients. Keep us posted please.

1 Like

Sounds like you know what you want and have the experience to find/create it. As Brian said, keep us posted!

1 Like