Better Business Bureau Experience

I recently applied to join the Better Business Bureau here in Vancouver because I thought it would add consumer confidence, as I perform other consulting and inspection in services for the construction industry and residential sectors, besides home inspections which only take up a small portion of my business these days because of workload.

At the time of my meeting with the BBB, besides my main business listing with the BBB, I also queried about having another listing in the Home Inspection Services section, being a Nachi Member and was told (In General Terms, not Verbatim) that they only accept CAHPIBC or BCPI Inspectors for Home Inspection Services Listings, because these Inspectors are certified through and belong to those associations, and have passed examination and met stringent requirements. Obviously, this was just in discussion with their representative, I did not see anything in writing stating that.

I told them that as far as I knew there has been no legislation passed as of yet, either on a National or BC Provincial Level, and there was only a voluntary project on the way as of late, but definitely nothing governing that I was aware of. I also told them that NACHI also has requirements similar to those other Associations as well and is the largest Home Inspector Association in North America.

Being a member of NACHI,the largest home inspector association in North America, probably the world, having to meet their requirements & experience for membership, pass examination, continuing ed., etc, and etc…

Why would they not acknowledge NACHI, regardless if there is or even if it is as it now where there is no definitive legislation as of yet?

I enjoy always reading everyones post and finding out what is on the mind of Canadian inspectors, as I am on-line daily,though I very rarely comment on this bulletin board, but thought I would share this with you all for your thoughts and if ask id this has happened to anyone else?

When I have alittle more spare time I wiil probably persue this more, however these days I busy with my other inspection and consulting services anyways.

Wishing Everyone Well…

John A. Taylor

I would say that the BBB needs a little education. Firstly they are not qualified to assess the training and standards of CAHPI or any other organization, they are supposed to be a place where consumers can complain if they have had a bad experience. (Might be interesting to see how many CAHPI inspectors have had complaints).

Why don’t you write a letter to the BBB giving them some facts about NACHI? After all, if a consumer had a bad experience with a NACHI inspector and they went to the BBB to complain there would be no recourse because the BBB does not have NACHI on its list.

Seems to me that getting on the BBB is a way of saying I hold myself accountable and you can report me to these people if I don’t do what I say I do.

They’ve been brainwashed…

John:

I would challenge the Better Business Bureau on their assertions with regard to your listing.

A Fraternal Membership in an Organization should have no bearing on your Business. What documentation do they have to support their substantiations…???

John ,here is our info from the BBB.

http://www.thebbb.ca/images/banner_left.jpg

http://www.thebbb.ca/images/banner_middle.jpg

http://www.thebbb.ca/images/banner_right.jpg

BBB of South Central Ontario</SPAN>
100 James Street South
Hamilton, ON L8P 2Z2BBB Reliability Report
May Not Be Reproduced for Commercial or Sales PurposesPrinter-friendly CROOKERHANCOX HOME INSPECTIONS INC18 CARMICHAEL CRESCENT
BRANTFORD, ON N3R 8A8
MAP General Information Original Business
Start DateAugust 2003 Business Started
LocallyAugust 2003BBB File OpenedOctober 09, 2003Principal ContactCHARLES CROOKER (PRESIDENT) BBB MemberThis company is a memberType of BusinessInspection ServiceWebsiteThe information in this report has either been provided by the company, or has been compiled by the Bureau from other sources.
BBB Membership
This company has been a member of this Better Business Bureau since October 2003. This means it supports the Bureau’s services to the public and meets our membership standards. Program Participation
This company participates in the BBB Membership Identification Program. This means the company has agreed to use special procedures including arbitration, if necessary, to resolve disputes. Customer Experience
Based on BBB files, this company has a satisfactory record with the Bureau. The Bureau has processed no customer complaints on this company in its three-year reporting period.

To have a “Satisfactory Record” with the Bureau, a company must be in business for at least 12 months, properly and promptly address matters referred to it by the Bureau, and be free from an unusual volume or pattern of complaints and law enforcement action involving its marketplace conduct. In addition, the Bureau must have a clear understanding of the company’s business and no concerns about its industry.
Additional Information
This Business Operates under the Names Addresses18 CARMICHAEL CRESCENT, BRANTFORD, ON N3R 8A8 MAP Phones(519) 751-3128
(519) 751-2750 (FAX)
Reported on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 As a matter of policy, the Better Business Bureau does not endorse any product, service or company. BBB reports generally cover a three-year reporting period, and are provided solely to assist you in exercising your own best judgment. Information contained herein is believed reliable but not guaranteed as to accuracy. Reports are subject to change at any time. The Better Business Bureau reports on members and non-members. Membership in the BBB is voluntary, and members must meet and maintain BBB standards. If a company is a member of this BBB, it is stated in this report. © 2006 BBB of South Central Ontario

Home insepctions are not legislated anywhere in Canada. That includes BC. Membership in BCIPI is voluntary, and if anything BCIPI has a higher standard of entrance then CAHPI to my knowledge. CAHPI is also voluntary and not legislated, nor is it legally mandated in any other way to carry out its mandate other then its own self granting powers as a private non profit corporation. Don’t let anyone tell ya differently.

As to BBB unwritten discriminatory practice, it would be interesting to see that mandate in writing or in their mission statement, or membership application.

Please also be aware that the BBB can also come back to haunt you for complaints that are not dealt with satisfactorily. They will cancel your membership and post on their website that you have a bad history of not dealing with complaints. I need not mention that someone at the head of CAHPI had problems and the BBB turfed him and placed comments on the BBB site that the inspector did not deal with complaints.

This is just another example of NACHI members rights to practice and freedom of association being trampled on, and NACHI not doing anything about it. Who is looking after your collective rights? We have every association up here in Canada apparently looking after its corporate image and structure, rather than for the common hard working independent home inspectors.

If you Add In all of the Inspection Firms that are currently Looking into and/or Participating in BBB Membership…

Publicized Discriminatory Practices, alleged by BBB against our Membership, will have a negative impact on their financial bottom line if they can not solicit / retain our Members within their Organization.

John,

From what I understand the BBB at their monthly meeting will look over your file and vote on accepting or rejecting it.

I’m a NACHI member and was accepted so other factors may influence their votes.

John,

If the BBB rejects your application…

Respectfully request that their reasons be reduced to writing so that they may be introduced on this NACHI BB Forum…

I was turned down last year as well with the same excuses. I wrote a letter back to the BBB, Nick even tried but to no avail. Looks like court is the only avenue that will change there minds. Obviously CAHPI has sewn the seams of bureaucracy tightly.

Hi Brett, I wonder why the BBB here in Ontario lets us in but not in B.C., Different strokes for different folks??:roll:

I’ve been a member of the north Alberta BBB for the last five years and there has never been any question about caphi etc. If I were you I would be contacting the BBB head office and find out what BC BBB is up to. Sounds like a local on a power trip. I’ve been a certified member of ASET for many years. maybe that had something to do with approval but I do not know that.

Can you get their policy in writing? I can’t believe what I am reading. That is seemingly discriminatory.

I found this on the Ontario BBB

http://www.bbbmwo.ca/commonreport.html?bid=1131684

MEMBERSHIP ACCEPTANCE STANDARDS

http://www.bbbmwo.ca/standards.html

To be a member of the Better Business Bureau of Mid-Western and Central Ontario, Inc., an applicant must:

1.          Have a permanent place of business in our Bureau's geographic area.

2.          Be actively engaged in business not less than 12 consecutive months              in our Bureau's geographic area unless:
      a) the principals previously operated a firm with a satisfactory              record in this or another Bureau's service area, or
       b) the firm is a branch of an existing member or company which has              met these standards, or 
       c) the company is not engaged in a type of business that historically              generates unresolved complaints or patterns of complaints and has              been established for a minimum period of 6 months.           The Bureau may at its discretion, extend the minimum time in business              requirement to a period greater than 12 months if, in its opinion,              such additional time is required for a proper evaluation of the firm.

3.          Promptly respond to any and all complaints forwarded by the Bureau,              and make good faith efforts to resolve all such complaints in accordance              with generally accepted good business practices.

4.          Comply with any decisions rendered through the Bureau arbitration              programs in which the firm agrees to participate.

5.          Co-operate with the Bureau in efforts to eliminate the underlying              causes of patterns of customer complaints that the Bureau may call              to the company's attention.

6.          Supply, upon request, information about company principals and employees,              deemed essential to meet the Bureau's responsibility providing accurate              reports regarding the reliability of businesses. 

7.          Co-operate with the Bureau's activities and efforts to promote voluntary              self-regulation.

8.          Fulfill all licensing and bonding requirements of applicable city,              county, province and federal agencies and authorities, provide license              numbers upon application for BBB membership and provide periodic updates              on request of the Bureau.

9.          Supply, upon request, the substantiating evidence upon which any              advertising or selling claim is based.

10.          Adhere to established Better Business Bureau standards of advertising              and selling and co-operate with the Bureau in related matters.

11.          Be free from any governmental action concerning marketplace and              its customers that demonstrates a significant failure of the company              to support the principles and purposes of the Better Business Bureau.

12.          Refrain from using the name or logo of the Better Business Bureau              for commercial, sales, or advertising purposes in any manner unless              specifically authorized in writing by the BBB as in the Membership              Identification Program.

13.          Pay membership fees on the due date.

14.         Support the principles and purposes of the Better Business Bureau              and not engage in any activity that reflects unfavourably on the Bureau              and its members.

Don’t let this happen to you.

http://data.bbblondon.on.ca/commonreport.html?bid=1041598

BBB Reliability Report

The Better Business Bureau®
Serving Western Ontario
Box 2153

308-200 Queen’s Ave.
London, ON N6A 4E3
(519) 673-3222
data.bbblondon.on.ca

BLUEWATER HOME INSPECTION     114 Hastings Crescent     Sarnia, ON  N7S 5K5     Telephone: (519) 383-1083     Fax: (519) 383-1652     www.bluewaterhomeinspection.com  

The BBB reports on members and non-members. If a company is a member of the BBB, it is stated in this **report**         

BBB Definition:

**report - **A summary of activity reflected in a company’s BBB file. Includes basic business background, BBB membership information, and Bureau complaint activity over the previous three years. Also reports may include any known government actions, advertising issues or other information that results from activity conducted by the BBB.

Original Business Start Date: January 1993
Principal: Bill Mullen, Owner
Customer Contact: Bill Mullen, Owner
Entity: Sole Proprietor
Employees: 2
TOB Classification: Home Inspection Service
BBB Membership: This company is not a member.

Customer Experience
Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record

http://data.bbblondon.on.ca/~common/ebindr/images/tc.gif

BBB Definition:**

**unsatisfactory record - **A company has an “unsatisfactory business performance record” with the Bureau is based on the experiences reflected in BBB files. This file condition results when the company has failed to resolve or respond to complaints, repeatedly failed to respond or resolve issues in a timely manner, failed to resolve the underlying issues for a pattern

http://data.bbblondon.on.ca/~common/ebindr/images/tc.gif

http://data.bbblondon.on.ca/~common/ebindr/images/lc.gif

BBB Definition:

**pattern - **More than 2 complaints involving the same allegations usually within 12 months that are significant in relation to the company’s size and volume of business of complaints, failed to honor their commitment to mediate or arbitrate disputes or honor mediated agreements or arbitrated decisions, failed to substantiate, modify or discontinue false advertising claims that are challenged by the BBB, or failed to discontinue unauthorized use of the BBB name and logo, a Federally protected trademark with the Bureau due to an unanswered complaint.
When considering complaint information, please take into account the company’s size and volume of transactions, and understand that the nature of complaints and a firm’s responses to them are often more important than the number of complaints.
The Bureau processed a total of 2 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 2 complaints closed in 36 months, 0 were closed in the last year.
Service Issues

BBB Definition:

**Service Issues - **Claims of alleged delay in completing service, failure to provide promised service, inferior quality of provided service, or damaged merchandise as a result of delivery service.
Unresolved

http://data.bbblondon.on.ca/~common/ebindr/images/lc.gif

BBB Definition:**

**Unresolved - **The company failed to resolve the complaint issues.

http://data.bbblondon.on.ca/~common/ebindr/images/rc.gif

1 - Company failed to resolve the complaint issues through the BBB voluntary and self-regulatory process. No Response

BBB Definition:

**No Response - **The company failed to respond to the complaint.
1 - Company failed to respond to the BBB or to the consumer to resolve the issues.

Additional DBAs, Addresses and Telephone Numbers
Additional Phone Numbers (800) 611-2885

Report as of June 24, 2006

Copyright© 2006 Better Business Bureau®, Inc.

BBB reports may not be reproduced for sales or promotional purposes.

The information in this report has either been provided by the company or has been compiled by the Bureau from other reliable sources.

As a matter of policy, the Better Business Bureau does not endorse any product, service or company. BBB reports generally cover a three-year reporting period, and are provided solely to assist you in exercising your own best judgment. Information contained in this report is believed reliable but not guaranteed as to accuracy. Reports are subject to change at any time.

I’ve just reviewed the
"To be a Membership Indentification Program (MIP) member of the Better Business Bureau, an applicant must, at a minimum: " at http://www.edmontonbbb.org/ and we have the exact wording as Ont.
Go to http://www.bbb.org/ for the head office site and check with their standards and talk to them about BC not following the other Provinces.

Hi Vern

I tried that link to edmontonbbb and the server must be swamped. Getting an error message “Unable to Connect”

It’s working fine this morning Sat 7:55 AM

Strange I joined our local BBB ( Ottawa Ont. )and no trouble at all It took them about 2 weeks get me posted.
Have you had this fixed or are they still refusing to alow your membership. If so I would launch a complaint .
Roy Cooke sr. Royshomeinspection.com