Someone sent this to me. Here’s a partial part of the info received. Has anyone heard of this requirement before? Perfect for us Inspectors but do we need special certification. Would appreciate your comments.
Florida Building Code requires that beginning July 1, 2017, all new homes must have a blower door test to determine if they need mechanical ventilation.
· If the test shows leakage of less than 3 air changes per hour, the home must have a mechanical ventilation system installed.
· Since about 160,000 homes are built each year in Florida, that means each of those homes must be blower door tested, somewhere In the neighborhood of 800 blower door tests daily.
· Blower door tests will be performed by certified HERS raters, BPI certified individuals and some air conditioning businesses.
· If you care to perform such testing, you may be trained, tested and certified by the HERS program at the Florida Solar Energy Center.
· You may also be proficiency tested by BPI Building Performance Institute to be certified.
· It is my understanding that the tests will require about two to three hours for a fee of $200.00 to $300.00