Blue foam board insulation on interior walls

quick question for you all…

Typical 1" blue foam insulation boards 2 ft by 8 ft, polystyrene? used on interior walls… I would not think this is good practice…

This was done on a partially finished basement wall… do these not put off toxic fumes if there is a fire? I have yet to get a reply from local code…

Let me know your thoughts…

thanks
Jeff

Yes toxic gasses released during combustion. I think cyanide gass. It should be covered with drywall or other non combustible cover.

Jeffrey,

Blueboard insulation is relatively hard to ignite, but when it is ignited, it burns readily and emits a dense smoke containing many toxic gases. The combustion characteristics of foam insulation products vary with the combustion temperatures, chemical formulation, and available air.

Because of these characteristics, Rigid board (Blueboard) insulation that is used for construction requires a covering as a fire barrier. One half-inch thick (1.27 cm) gypsum wallboard is one of the most common fire barriers. Some building codes, however, do not require an additional fire barrier for certain metal-faced, laminated foam products. Check with your local building code/fire officials and insurers for specific information on what is permitted in your area.

thanks guys… just as I thought…

Hi. Jeff;

Agreeing with all these statesments in the above post, I would like to add that Kraft Face Insulation and Polyinsynarate insulation would fall in the same category. Just my two cents.

Marcel

How about in an attic? Does exposed foam board insulation need to be covered for a fire barrier?

let’s think realisticly. if there is a fire hot enough and intense enough to ignite the insulation, chances are the gasses released are the least of your worries.

Also, who (in their right mind) would even think of installing Blueboard (rigidboard) in their attic when blanket is much cheaper?

http://www.dow.com/styrofoam/na/res-us/installations/

I would guess that if someone was actually nerved up about flammalbility of a product, he or she could persue the trail of the MSDS of the product and know right off that it has to be protected. SIMPLE

Have a good day.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Marcel

good point Marcel. and i think (not positive) but you should be able to get an MSDS sheet (Material Safty Data Sheet) for any chemical right from the seller. they’ll photo copy one they have on file for you. They have to, if you ask.

Hi. Jay and hope your fine.

Yes, anyone and at any one time required, people can request an MSDS sheet on any product on the Market. It is the law. For people that are not familiar with some products on the Market, I think this is crucial to every ones’ welfare.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

i totaly agree. While i was in the military we were required to read every MSDS sheet on EVERY chemical we used, form hydrocloric acid to (yup you guessed it) water. In our fine military system they want you to know all the hazard of good ol’ water. it also tells you the boiling point, flame temp, combustion temp, and what it reacts badly with.

Hi. Jay, hope you are fine.

Is that when you learned that water and gasoline do not mix? ha. ha.
See, you did learn something. Don’t you just love those MSDS?

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Marcel

i never looked to see if there was one for AIR, but i bet there is. I wish i could remember the name of the mineral, but when it hits water, it explodes into a violent boil until it’s gone. just can’t think right now.

Hi. Jay;

According to what I found, there is nothing hazardous about air, ha. ha.

Don’t tell me you mixed grease with air under pressure. Ect. connecting and compressed air bottle with a fitting dirty of grease. Boom!!!

Air
Definition

Air is the mixture of gases that surrounds the Earth. The composition of the earth’s atmosphere varies with altitude, but at sea level contains approximately 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen by volume.
An oxygen-deficient atmosphere contains less than 19.5% oxygen by volume.
An oxygen-enriched atmosphere contains more than 23.5% oxygen by volume.
An atmosphere that is immediately dangerous to life or health (IDLH) poses an immediate threat to life, would cause, irreversible adverse health effects, or would impair an individual’s ability to escape from a dangerous atmosphere.
Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

no, but i did see (first hand) a shipmate walk from a greasy hangerbay deck into a space used to fill liquid o2 bottles, walked into a clowd of evaparate and BOOM!!! Flash burns on his shind and burnt pant legs. Grease and pure o2 don’t mix.

Jay,I can’t think of the name of the mineral you are talking about right off hand either, but get this ,if youve ever heard of the candy “pop rocks”,that kind of explode in your mouth,that mineral you are referring to is in that candy…go figure…things that make you go HMMMMM!

Potassium

I thought the pop in candy and gum came from carbonation.