Can anyone tell me if this is an inspection hole, or a hole that has burnt through the access cover of this boiler. It is for hot water heat of the home built in 1940.It seems to have flame roll-out marks above it.When I look into the hole I can see very yellow flames & a lot of rusty looking dirt on the burners.



MessageInvalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

I fixed the pictures

Looks like a burnout most inspection holes have covers that slide over the hole

I believe it is a view port. I’ve seen it before on old AR/SS units like that… usually a stamped oval in the cast iron inspection/service cover. Sometimes its a clean cut, but most times its pretty jagged edge (nature of the beast with cast) or has been drilled out. Made it easy to take a quick look without lifting off that heavy plate.