Bond wire needed at jetted tub?

Jetted tub in master bath, all plastic piping except supply is copper. Should there be a bonding wire from copper supply to pump motor?
Thanks

121020 1504 N Manowar Dr, Her - Full, Wind 075.jpg

Good luck

IMHO yes

Looks like a ground terminal lug on that motor to me.

Bonding is only required if the piping is in contact with the circulating water.

Yes, I see what you mean but thanks, you gave me my answer (deferred)

Is that thing missing a motor mount ?

No, its there, just not visible

Never seen a hydro tub with metal piping.

Even if that was a double insulated pump the NEC still says to run a #8 to the area for any future replacement pump that may not be double insulated.

680.74 Bonding
All metal piping systems and all grounded metal parts in contact with the circulating water shall be bonded together using a copper bonding jumper, insulated, covered, or bare, not smaller than 8 AWG solid.

The motor should be grounded/bonded by the EGC with the branch-circuit feeding the tub.

I understand that Chris. Jim seemed be disagreeing with bonding the motor with a #8. No?

Since the copper supply is not in contact with the circulating there is no code requirement for it to be bonded.

Could you also supply the code article that states a bond need to be installed in case the tub is changed?

Watch the Mike Holt link in post #2 Jim

680.JPG

6802.JPG

I agree with Jim, the recirculation piping is plastic therefore no bonding is required.

Then why is the pump housing provided with a bonding lug?

If you watch the Mike Holt video the issue confuses Mike and the panel.

60.74 is so poorly written as to be silly in it’s real meaning.

I agree that it’s poorly written and that Mike’s guys are wrong on this one. Hopefully the 2014 NEC will clear this up a bit. Here’s a proposal that has so far been accepted.

OK but that is only a proposal. Wait, I see it was accepted by the panel but it still is not in effect.

What about the mfgs. installation instructions?

From here: (PDF page 11)

http://www.jacuzzi.com/admin/files/files/4c12655c-e074-4e5d-8a6e-5e8643.pdf

What I am saying is that if you see a grounding lug on the motor it’t there for a reason.

I would guess that maybe sometimes the heater is added later so a bonding jumper can be installed between the motor housing and the heater. If the manufacturers instructions are part of the listing then they must be followed even if they exceed the requirements of the NEC.

I have seen instructions like those that created a code violation if they were followed. It seems that often times they were written by someone with limited knowledge of the NEC. As that is written it calls for grounding when the correct term would be bonding. The grounding is taken care of by the circuit EGC, not a #8.

The tub also does not require a bonding grid under it like a hot tub AFAIK. The lug would be used if a bond grid were in place.

Thanks for posting that section Mike. I see while reading it that this was a change to the 2011.

How is the water getting into the tub? If you say by the pipes that supply the water to the tub then this must be in contact with the water that is being circulated would you not say.

The water that is circulating is already contained in the plastic piping of the tub. The water in the supply lines is not circulating.

Let’s look at what is being said;
All metal piping systems
and
all grounded metal parts in contact with the circulating water shall be bonded together using a solid copper bonding jumper, insulated, covered, or bare, not smaller than 8 AWG.
The water cannot get into the tub unless it comes out of the piping system and it is possible and probable that the water can fill while the tub is on therefore requiring the tub to be bonded to the supply piping.

The mixing valve is exposed to anyone in the tub at all times therefore the supply pipes needs to be bonded.

What we need to keep in mind is that this bond is installed to protect the person in the tub and to keep everything at the same potential. It is not a fault clearing bond.