I have recently been told by my city building department that I to have a city registration as a contractor and have to be bonded by my insurance carrier, in order to work as a Home Inspector in Valparaiso, Indiana. After contacting my insurer, they say that it’s not a requirement. And who is asking for an assurance bond? My instructor at the time said nothing was required also.
Does anyone have the correct answer? is a $10K fidelity bond (not a surety bond) that every member has for free.

Why would you even step foot in the building department? They are treating you as a typical General Contractor. You are not.

Home Inspectors in Indiana requires:

1.) Be at least eighteen (18 years of age);
2.) Have graduated from high school or have earned a GED;
3.) Have not committed a crime or act that would prohibit you from obtaining the license;
4.) Complete a pre-licensing course of at least sixty (60) hours provided by a Board-approved course provider.
5.) Pass the National Home Inspector Examination as provided by the Examination Board of Professional Home Inspectors;
6.) Submit proof of having minimum insurance liability coverage of one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000); and
7.) Pay the application/license issuance fee of four hundred fifty dollars ($450).

For more information:

State Board:
Indiana Professional Licensing Agency
402 West Washington Street, Room W072
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204
Pat Price
Phone (317) 234-3047
Fax (317) 232-2312