Breaker Lock? Or?

Found this on today’s inspection. Home was built 8 months ago. I have read about breaker locks and there doesn’t seem to be much concern over them. I have not seen one in person on an inspection however. Is this a type of one of these locks? Square D panel, breaker is for the oven, “wire” bracket was pushed up against the breaker handle holding it in the ON position. I am writing the report now but have a couple of days to get it to the client, so no need to post in the “Emergency” section. TIA…

Also, what would be the reasoning behind these types of locks?

You can use it to padlock the breaker on or off. A small padlock would go in the hole by the handle. Padlock off for safety, or on for equipment that should not be turned off inadvertently.

3 Likes

Yep, similar to a service disconnect at a piece of equipment. It’s so the guy working on the appliance can be sure it’s not going to be turned on while he’s got his hands in it.

What I’ve never understood about those particular ones is as they often sit (like in OP’s top pic) it looks like it would prevent the breaker from triggering off if needed.

4 Likes

Remember, NOTHING is capable of preventing a properly functioning breaker from “tripping”, only from manually being switched ‘On’ or ‘Off’. (Opening or Closing).

3 Likes

There is some equipment that you want to communicate to anyone working on/near the panel, that you do not want it turned off. For instance, life/safety equipment, or sometimes even production type assembly equipment. The lock just makes sure the right process is followed to turn it off.

1 Like

I didn’t think about that. I’m used to Commercial/Industrial LO/TO protocols and devices, not chinsey wire locks. LOL. Thanks Ryan.

1 Like

It’s a poor man’s version of a LO/TO. :joy:

1 Like

It meets the requirement for the disconnecting means for the oven and is code complaint. Nothing to mention in the report.

5 Likes

What’s the exact model of the Square-D breaker?
There are in the world circuit breakers are classified as being trip free or nontrip free. A trip-free circuit breaker is a circuit breaker that will trip (open) even if the operating mechanism (ON-OFF switch) is held in the ON position.

https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/eaton/markets/healthcare/knowledge-center/white-paper/the-importance-of-trip-free-operation-and-its-characteristics.pdf

Hard Wired Appliance Breaker Lockout, a procedure that prevents the release of hazardous energy downstream.
Why does NEC require circuit breaker locks only on hard-wired appliance circuits?
Hope that helps.

1 Like

Circuit breakers are permitted to be locked in the closed (on) position. There are a few installations where they’re required to be locked on the closed position in the NEC.

2 Likes

May I point one thing out, look at the bottom of the shackle’s position in the molded case retention base. The shackle foot is almost disengaged. I guess there would be pay when engaging a position change but you most pay attention. Any more movement and the shackle might would go flying across the room or even into the eye of the operator. In this case, SOP is spot on. Do not touch or operate breakers.
OCPD lockout shackle 2