Brick veneer or faux brick?

Did an inspection on a brick covered home and I am having trouble identifying if this is veneer or some type of faux brick. The one are that has exposed foundation (last pic) it looks like a very thin brick skirt type material. If it is I don’t think weep holes are required. Any information is appreciated.

Sure looks like a veneer to me especially around those windows.

5 Likes

That area of the exposed foundation looks like maybe some type of impermeable membrane material.

looks like brick from ohio…

3 Likes

Seriously, when was the last time you saw a “new-ish” home built from (structural) brick??

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ll go with the brick veneer crowd.

That’s how I see it from Michigan.

2 Likes

As everyone has noted definitely brick veneer. And unfortunately who does weeps anymore, at least that’s a rare occurrence in my area.

6 Likes

I call out no weeps where they should be but aren’t. Most brick veneer homes in my area have them, most, but not all.

I’m with the brick veneer crowd as well.

4 Likes

Kevin wouldn’t it depend on the structure being either framed or block?

2 Likes

I see brick veneer a lot and weep holes not a lot. And rarely, almost never, evidence of water related issues where weep holes are missing.
Chat GBT certainly regurgitates the talking points advocating for weep holes, but I have never been sold on their importance. I see homes where they appear to have been caulked for many years, and no evidence of problems connected to the sealed weep holes. In the southeast, it was popular in the past to have a cotton rope behind the brick and exposed through the weep hole to wick any water out. The cotton rope has long ago rotted away and the house is just doing fine without it.
I wonder if properly applied synthetic/plastic WRBs may negate any benefits that may have once been there with weep holes.
I don’t comment if they aren’t present. If the weeps are sealed, I call them out to be cleaned or have wasps/bees buzzing in and out, then that is a problem to report.

4 Likes

Roy we do not have a lot of block homes in ohio…thats kinda a florida thing…

2 Likes

Yes & no. :wink:

To me the biggest give-away is the brick work around the windows as @labstein mentioned above.

I think there is some confusion on Steven’s part about bricks.
We all know that the bricks are not structural on modern homes. Steve asked his question wrong. He is wondering if the bricks are full size or a “thin brick” product commonly referred to as veneer. this is a confusing term since all modern brick is applied as a veneer, not the structural part of the wall. He did say the home is brick-covered. He knows the structural wall is not brick.
What he really wants to know is if this brick veneer is full size bricks or thin bricks.

He is also confused about what he is looking at on that foundation picture. That is a brick ledge. the full size bricks sit on top of that. here is a picture of what the wall looks like.

Brick-Ledge-629x420

7 Likes

Nope, that’s the real stuff. Not a faux brick.

1 Like
1 Like

In my opinion, it is likely not structural solid brick or thin brick but rather “regular depth” brick, which is commonly seen on most modern homes. The subject home looks like regular depth brick veneer. (terminology varies).

Weep holes are another subject. I call them out when they are below grade or clogged. I do not call them out when they do not exist. In newer construction, I call out any inconsistencies with weep hole placement.

Regular depth bricks measure 3 5/8 inches deep.
Thin Brick vs. Regular Depth Brick | Nitterhouse Masonry

2 Likes

Thanks to all for information!

1 Like