Brochures

Originally Posted By: rkulla
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am new to the industry, when making up your brochures should you add your price breakdown to it. Will this avoid some prospects from calling you and calling your competitors for a price thus giving them the chance to under bid you??

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I for one don’t have my price on the brochure, for a couple of reasons. 1, I don’t want to just hand my prices to my competition. 2, If my prices change, I don’t want to have to replace all of the old brochures. 2?, If price is the only concern of the buyer, and you are higher by $5 than your competitors, you won’t get the call to explain why you are better and charge more than the other guy. 2?, It just looks like filler to me, and it is what all of the cheap guys do.

The brochure is designed to get people to call you. If you give them the price, you take away one reason to call. I have gotten many, many inspections when the first question asked was "what do you charge for...". It should be professional looking (three fold, two sided and not printed on printer paper) and should convey information about you and your company. The more professional it looks, the more professional your company looks. Once they call you, reel em in.

Others will come on here who put their prices on their brochures, so take it all with a grain of salt and do what you think will work for you. And, get some of your competitors brochures out of real estate offices. They are a great source of info, and sometimes laughter ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Blaine

Originally Posted By: kluce

Keep graphics simple and pleasing to the eye. When I moved to a different state, I usually called people that I felt comfortable after reading the info. So I try to put in enough information to help them feel that way but not too much info to where they don’t feel like they need to call me. This is true with phone book and brochures. I even leave out a couple of specialties that I don’t want my competitors knowing about.

Research is important. I keep a file on each inspection company. This gives me an idea of what other inspectors are thinking from year to year and who sticks around and who doesn't.

Originally Posted By: SBalen

I am also trying to come up with something for a broucher, does anyone have some ideas or something that I could get and work off theres.

scott

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

The best place to get how to AND “how NOT to” ideas is to go to the realtors offices and pick up some of your competitor’s brochures. Take a look at some of the samples available from companies that supply them.

I agree with Blaine. Keep the prices out of them. Make them call for the price so you can sell yourself. DON'T be afraid of losing a few that take the brochure with the price in it. You probably don't want them for customers anyway.l

I don't post my prices anywhere. Don't want to have to deal with those old brochures when I change it.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: kluce

I just came across a birthday card that when opened, it sings. Make a brochure like that. icon_lol.gif When they open a brochure, it talks or sings about your company.

Just joking about the brochure.

Originally Posted By: rray

I’m one of those that includes prices in my brochures.

I also include a $20 Savings Certificate.

My purpose is to get business without spending the whole day on the phone. If I'm on the phone trying to sell myself, I'm not doing home inspections. I let my brochures, my prices, and my $20 Savings Certificate speak for me, and they speak loud and clear.

Interestingly, I still get a ton of calls telling me that, "my Realtor gave me your brochure and told me to call you. How much do you charge?" Why do I get those calls? Simple little phrase in my brochures. "Prices subject to change without notice. Please call for current prices." With that simple little phrase, one never needs to go back and replace "old" brochures.

The other thing is that if you have old brochures and someone calls without reading that phrase, then you have them on the phone anyway and can then sell them your higher price.

![icon_twisted.gif](upload://xjO326gspdTNE5QS3UTl0a0Rtvy.gif)

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: rray

Quick follow-up.

I've been in business since October 2001. I've always included prices and always used a $20 Savings Certificate.

During the first 12 months, I raised my prices $5 every month. I now raise my prices $10 each month, May through August (my busiest months). I've never had to go "replace" any brochures anywhere.

I'm like gasoline. My prices go up, but never down.

![icon_twisted.gif](upload://xjO326gspdTNE5QS3UTl0a0Rtvy.gif)

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.