Broken Garage door panel!!!!!!

Thanks for all the nice words guys!

My business is important to me but my personal integrity is above all.

Looks like it is going to cost me $200 to have the panel replaced and installed. Not too bad…and I learned a new lesson! Before I operate another garage door I now know to look at how it is connected and make sure on the cheap doors that I pay extra close attention.

And I’m gonna get this overhead door guy in my back pocket just in case, for the future. He’s working to get this figured out for me and I feel this is a pretty reasonable price.

Thanks again guys!

See if you can’t meet him there for the repair. I learned a TON when I watched the installer put in my new garage door last year. Be friendly, offer him a cold beverage, and chat a way. Get some Free Education out of your $200. (You have to meet him to pay him anyway.)

Hey Scott,

We have all been there. You couldn’t have handled it any better. Your efforts here will be rewarded ten fold.

Nice Job!!

I definitely planned on being there and am meeting him in about an hour. You can bet that I will be soaking up as much info as possible from him.

Thanks again.

Couldn’t agree more, this is not anything other than a $350.00 learning experience, next time take a hard look at the attachment, the bracing, and check the metal on the door for signs of fatigue. Then operate the door manually, check the eye beams and then hold the door with your hand while watching the top panel. Remember that this is the largest, heaviest movable object in most homes and poses a significant risk if not installed or maintained properly. Thank you for handling the problem in such a professional manner. It reflects well on all of us.

I got into an argument with a builder not too long age. I always do the hand test and this door did not reverse. He actually called me an idiot and said that all of his doors are tested with a 2x4. You believe that of course. If it doesn’t reverse with your hands it will cause hard to a child, pet, or car.

Interesting discussion about if you damage a home you should pay, etc… A few months ago I was doing an empty multi-million dollar home that had only been lived in for a year and had been empty for two years. (Built in 2005) I was testing the jacuzzi tub for operation by filling up the tub to just above the jets level and then operating the pump. Down below was a finished basement and well you guessed it the tub leaked and came down thru the finished ceiling and completely inundated the room. Found out later that one of the lines to one of the jets had never been hooked pumping a lot of water in a short amount of time in the ceiling below. In the time it took to check below there was lots of water!! We are talking here about a very expensive home with water damage with the potential for replacing dry wall, ceilings, carpeting not to mention the possibility of mold which interestly enough we had noticed in the same room under a window before the leak.
So here is an example of a situation that could potentially cost thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars. We did have insurance. The buyers agent was there and immediately called the listing agent. The listing agent brought in a crew right away and repaired the damage and I never heard anything else about it. All of you who stated ‘do the right thing’ what would have been your reaction? Would you have rushed in and paid to have it done or…?

I think in that case, how were you to know the pipe was never hooked up? Can’t really be you fault because you couldn’t see it AND YOU didn’t break it. I would have been very relieved to have insurance at that point but at the same time, how could that have been you fault?

With the garage door, different story…I touched it, I broke it!

I guess if I stuck my fat foot through someones roof when I was walking on it I would also offer to pay to repair it. I don’t have to walk on it! But I choose to! I’m 260lbs…should I be on a roof checking for soft spots? Probably not…but I think I would be doing my client a disservice if I didn’t!

I believe in taking responsibility…whether it is really the fault of the inspector or not. I won’t throw that out on everything that happens, but I think we do what WE feel is the right thing to do on a case by case basis. I don’t look down on anyone if they choose to defer the responsibility to someone else in the case of a garage door issue. It is something I personally think is the right thing to do.

:smiley:

Scott made a business descision. At some point we all have! I had the same thing happen to me about 4 years ago, the home owner was home at the time and went absolutely nuts when the the top panel buckled. I told her it failed under testing she did not care all she knew was I pushed the button the door came down hit my flashlight and buckled. I made a descision right there and offered to pony up half and she took it.

Different situation----I was on a roof and fell through to my waist again the owner went nuts “blah, blah, you are gonna pay etc” He shut up when I asked him who his home owners insurance was because HE and they were gonna pay to stitch me up. I was not paying him for anything.

In California the BUYER who hired the inspector is liable for any damages the inspector causes.

Case by case each situation is different. Remember good news travels but bad news travels FASTER.

Scott IMHO (not that it matters much) you did the correct thing! All involved will see that you are a stand up guy and it will help you out in the long run.

Chuck

Sounds like this was a REO property and the agent was right in contacting someone to fix the problem.

Regardless of the circumstances, you’re a Good Inspector with a conscience…!!

It will take you places…aka–More Referrals…!!

Scott,
I see your point but what I think this points out is different circumstances may call for a different answer. I am certian the pipe was never hooked up and was not visible to check before the pump was ran. I think with a different agent/owner the outcome might have been different, ie, they would have told us to pay. I think deciding what those circumstances are is the gray area and is never black and white.

Scott good call. I would of done the same thing as well.

I agree! That could have been an absolute nightmare for you.

If they had told you to pay, what would you have done?

For some reason I’m not seeing anywhere in our Standards of Practice that we ARE required to run a jacuzzi tub. I also don’t see that we are NOT required. If not required then I could see them using that against us since it would be beyond the scope and if it IS required then I could see where they could go Float a Boat…we did our job.

Am I just not seeing it in the SOP?

Scott,
And you probably won’t becuase we are a licensing state and we adhere to the North Carolina SOP and… that doesn’t require it either!! (I had to look it up to verify) We do some things beyond the SOP as this is a mininum but I do realize this can be a slippery slope. There is a gap many times between what the SOP is and what your client expectation is. Such is our life!!