Excellent garage door inspection information

Best I’ve ever found right here.

Very Nice thanks Kenton

Nice.

Thank you.

So according to this article, the garage door requires more pressure to reverse as it approaches the floor and testing it 3 or 4 feet off the floor is not going to give a realistic idea of what the door might do to a child lying beneath it.
Seems to me that if an inspector is going to actually report on the safety of the automatic reverse response, the door ought to be tested at 6 or 8 inches off the floor with one of these. Anything over 15 pounds gets reported as needing adjustment. I know that’s practically every door out there, but what does that tell you? How many pounds would you want your child or grandchild to be subjected to?

Please elaborate on how I would use the fish scale? I really need a step by step procedure, please! (I just got the pdf so if it’s in there, sorry!):stuck_out_tongue:

When I took a class they told me to stick a 2x4 under the door. I thought that was nuts. Saw a thread here where a guy did that and had to pay for the door. Another fellow suggested just using your hand to try to hold up the door as it descends. Thats what I do now, and it works well. We should name the test after him! If you pull your hand out before it’s down cause it don’t reverse, tourque reverse not functional, repair by a qualified garage door technician required! Of course you couldn’t inspect for your own family, the door would reverse in a stiff wind!

You hook the fish scale hook to the door bottom and push the button to close the door. When it’s about 8 inches off the floor you see how many pounds it takes to reverse the door.
The point is that the closer the door gets to the floor, the more pressure is required to make it reverse. If the whole point is to prevent children from being crushed by the door, testing the amount of pressure required to make it reverse at 4 feet off the floor is not a good test. The good test is the one that will tell you whether the door is likely to severely injure or kill a child.
If an inspector will spend $500 for a moisture meter and $5,000 for an IR camera, neither of which will save anyone’s life, $7.99 plus shipping and changing methods a little doesn’t seem like such a big sacrifice.
If I hire an inspector, I want him to perform as though my family’s safety is as import as his.

Seeing family safety, garage doors should be tested first so that if any issue is there with the doors, it should be resolved. This would be better option to avoid any sort of injury and mishappening. If any repair is required we must hire a professional for work.