Called back for no insulation

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Got a call from an inspection I did in October. The client says he just went in the attic. What he saw was all the insulation from one side of the home was pushed over to the other side. He was upset I did not mention this in my report. Told him I would be too.

I politly told the owner I had inspected the attic from the access. If memory serves me the attic was used as storage limiting access but viewable. My notes only say viewed from hatch, now making better notes.

I do have infrared images of the ceiling, which were provided to him in the report. The IR images show some insulation issues, but only at some small locations.

I'm scheduled out there Monday to review the attic. Unless I find something major, that happened sence the inspection I've told the owner and Realtor not to worry. Although there is no way I would have missed it and the IR shows insulation, I will get it corrected. Figure it's better to correct whatever it is than have a bad report from this. Again it depends on my review Monday.

Repeat after me....I love my job...I love my job ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Rob Z.
www.RZinspections.com

Originally Posted By: rsummers

If there is no difference between the attic and indoor temp can the infrared pick up the fact there was no insulation. I think that since you did not go in the attic and if there were items blocking your view how can it be your fault if it could not be seen. I would go there and move the insulation back to the other side when I went back to re-inspect then its over. It might not be your fault but why piss people off or pay $$ to have an insulation contractor to do it if you were found at fault.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

. 100%, 50%, 100%, etc.

And I always state why that certain percentage was not viewed.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: sbyrnes

Rob,

Take a small rake with you up into the attic, and a camera!! If the insulation is missing in areas it is most likely piled up higher elsewhere. Most likely moved out of the way by an electrician or cable guy to do some work and never put back. Solve the problem by putting it back in place if you can, then take a picture of it. Of course, you are covered if you couldn’t get into the attic because of storage blocking access, but you’ll make you client smile better if it’s not a big deal and you take care of it on site. Just an idea.

All Corners Home Inspections, Inc

Serving Pasco, Hernando, N. Pinellas & N. Hillsborough counties

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman

Rolland,

The IR cam did show a diff in temp at three locations. These were noted in the report. No insulation covering 1/2 the ceiling would have realy set my cam off icon_eek.gif I locate and post the pics tonight.

I’m thinking there is no insulation over the garage or the entyr and that is his issue.

David,
I plan on a rake and push broom. No matter what the issue I'll make sure his ceiling over living space is properly distributed befor I leave.

As I think about this, I seem to remembe the attic access was full of stored boxs. Thus the reason for hatch only viewing, but stupid me, I did not take a pic or note that. Will not make that error again.

--
Rob Z.
www.RZinspections.com