calrifications needed.

The main was installed in a bathroom. The panel was recently installed.

When the new box is installed. Lets say in 2004. Is the electrician required to updqate the home to the latest NEC? There where no visible main ground connections, No exterior ground rod. Ect…

I know the box isnt allowed to be in the bathroom.

It looks like there are some 14 gauge wire to 20Amp breakers. Is the main aluminum wire rated for 100 amps. Looks like #1 or 2. This would be 80 Amps.

Any explanation would be appreciated.

Would like to also add about how other inspectors note bathrooms that have the older light fixture with receptacle? Am I correct in advising that they remove the old fixture & install a light bar and add a GFCI?

Can a 220 line be installed on a board? The one I observed the board was loose.

Thanks

Dave

Paul A. I am looking forward to your class in december. Please make a note that I am attending. I will register soon.

85106 Cleve 035 (Small).jpg

85106 Cleve 035 (Small).jpg

85106 Cleve 038 (Small).jpg

85106 Cleve 041 (Small).jpg

85106 Cleve 040 (Small).jpg

I’ve been told by some electricians, they had to do somethings messed up. “had to do”, like this situation, the electrician probably had no choice since the service cables came in there, or the bathroom was a diy’er job, and it was originally a small office, or etc, etc, etc. The new electrician was following bad work previously made. I usually respond with, “you could have just walked away”.

<walking away shaking head>

tom

Is it safe???

When and code are not something that we want to get into

GFCI while not required when work was done but is a very good safety recomendation

Look at the whole thing from a safety issue … Grounding is a safety issue

I would pass the whole mess to an electrican — safety

I would not go into NEC or local code at all

It might even have been sign off by the local BI – who knowes

rlb

I dont know how they do it in OHIO, but down here in Florida, they are SUPPOSED to pull a permit for and upgrade (like they ever do), which would require that the box be moved out of the bathroom and that GFCI’s be installed. Also, the ceiling in that picture is not sealed.

I would write it up as an improper installation, listing all the defects that you noted, including that my client do a permit search, and recommend repair by a licensed electrician.

This is an interesting situation.
Up until the 1993 NEC, the panels were permitted in bathrooms. So if this is an upgrade of an existing panel that was approved prior, then the question is would it be required to be relocated when upgraded??? I would call the building department and ask them.

But note that the toilet is directly below the panel… that has never been permitted. [110.26(A)]

And would this be a plumbing violation or an electrical??

Again - lets stay away from code and say is there a safety problem here

Yes there is – and thus call it as same

rlb

But if you can’t have the toilet in front of the panel, what are you going to stand on to check it? :cool:

Electrical…violates the SAFE workspace and dedicated space provision.