Camera

Infraspection seems to be well respected here. There is another course offered here that is “live web” .It’s about $495 for a two day course. Any feedback on this?

You’re welcome… and as far as the first/initial camera purchase, get more camera than you think you need, sounds cliche I realize. BUT, you’ll quickly outgrow and IMO, better equipment picks up anomalies easier than lesser equipment. I’d say you’d want good equipment in beginning, to help offset the learning curve (like anything else). Now… once experienced and as a backup/bag camera, the lesser one’s have a place for sure IMO.

The Fluke Ti-400 looks like it has some nice features. I found a site that has $1k off retail.
http://www.tequipment.net/FlukeTi400.html

Frank, I haven’t used that one, but I can’t imagine that it wouldn’t serve you well!

That’s a good vendor, I’d also check with http://www.tomwblack.com/ (call for pricing) and http://www.aikencolon.com/ I know the 2 web addresses I gave you have great prices and last I checked, deals for members.

Check with all of them!

Thanks Tim

That’s a really nice camera. I was looking at that myself it’s about $400 more than Charley s camera if he has the Ti32, 1000 degree more temp read and laser sharp auto focus.

$7475.00 at the site I looked at. Of course, free shipping.

Its the same site I was looking at also I was comparing cameras, from what everyone said don’t go with the cheap ones you’ll be selling them and I do see them for sale all the time.
I’ve seen some around here and there the cheap ones, you can’t even make out what they were looking at.

I have the T-360 Flir never owned a fluke but a lot of guys like them

So Robert was wrong. Thanks for straightening that out. So what are your thoughts one verses the other if I might ask

I purchased a Ti300 Fluke for several reason.
The on-board imaging camera is 5 MP and the laser self focuses the IR camera FOV.
Jaw dropping.
The laser is also strong and in the sun I can see the spot 50 yards away easy!
Touch screen is amazing, the touch screen and/or button technology is very kind as compared to the 3 button older Ti and TiR line.

As far as I can tell about the manufactures,
Fluke FOV is rectangular. and for buildings, commercial and industrial.
Just think of vessels and electrical panel layout. They are rectangular.

Flir FOV is square and mostly built for home inspection including the software.

Testo are round and for vapor and gas.
They are all for buildings and building sciences.

Then there is 9hz and 60 hz.
A refresh rate.
I will not be going back to 9hz.

Let me say this about entry level cameras.
They let you learn without spending a bundle.
How many guys do you see selling there expensive equipment because they do not invest the time to propel their business? LOTS.

AnyWhoo sorry Charley.
Go try out some cameras guys!!!

Tyler Thompson-Love, I will call you in the AM.
My day was full.
Sorry buddy.

Sorry Charley.
I did not know you used a Flir T360.

I tried the T 420.
It was $12,000 with tax.
Several things beside price made me try other models.
I could have swore you used a Ti32.

Regards.

It’s okay Robert. I don’t believe the Ti100 will suffice for my needs. I am looking for a better camera so that I will not outgrow it quickly. Might as well make the investment now rather than 6 months down the road have to sell and purchase a new camera anyways.

I cannot compare one to the other I have never used nothing but Flir but some of the guys have had problems as of late with Flir. I have never had a problem of any kind with mine is just like a Timex keeps on ticking. The fluke is a more rugged camera if you have a tendency to drop things. The only thing that bothers me about the T series of Flir is the focus button it takes some practice to get a good focus the focus scale/bar is very narrow in range

No issues.
Best of luck.

Tyler
Prior you saying that please explain your needs and do not listen to the outgrow narrators.

The Ti100 is the best seller in that series for a reason. I took my time prior to purchasing the camera.
160X 120 is a great entry level model.
It surpasses Resnet and BPI minimum requirements.
You being in Ontario will be able to produce great thermograms from the delta T conditions us Northerners get:)

No belles and whistles. I saved $3,500 and used the software “IRfusion” at home.
You do not understand the differences yet and that is unfortunate.

Understand what you are talking about before you make prejudicial statements that confuse other homies.

A Ti100 not good enough and the fee $1,350?

Don’t get me wrong, you are OK to do as you wish.
Someone else was selling a TiR1 for a bit more not long ago.
The dam things are still on sale for $5,500 and I would jump at the purchase is I was getting into Infrared.
He is also a very very respected member here.
My jaw hit the floor.

I heard the same uneducated baloney, you will want a better camera in six months.
No dammit, I want it now!

Oh yes, the WANT HYPOTHESIS.

Tim S. and others that narrate.“in six months you will be wanting to get a better camera to…, be practical.”

Not everyone is financially capable, not many will be utilizing their camera as you do and I see a handful of guys bragging on the MB while many many many more keep quite and sell the camera they should have never bought because they thought it would increase their business.

It is also a deal killer genitalmen!
YOUR NEW SHINNY CAMERA WILL ALSO SCAR AWAY THE BROKERS.

I wish I could upgrade everything I have life. :smiley:
Nope, :roll: I am practical and started with something I could afford financially and educationally.
Education for qualitative reporting will cost you $3,500 plus.

Its Flukes best seller in that series.
I am so sorry I made a mistake.:wink:

Now please genitalmen, let homies understand to enter the game is not that expensive. to have a good entry level camera and education.
The rewards you can gain are worth the small entrance fee. remember though, educate prior to your camera purchase.

Robert, I understand your point to an extent. I’d also like to offer that from the point of the consumer that is paying us, should the lack of financial capability of the inspector to have purchased better equipment be disclosed?

Don’t get me wrong, I understand the excitement of having this stuff… but if you look at if from the consumer’s point of view, they may not really understand the difference in training/equipment from one provider to another… and negative experiences can tarnish this great technology.

In addition… I’ve only offered my recommendations based on experience, and we’ve all bought something cheaper than we should have, only to later realize having done so put us that much farther away from our goal.

Cheers!

Remember Tim, the entry level camera’s standard is set.
BPI and Resnet set a bottom line.

Thermal sensitivity is specified at 100mK or better,
The smaller the number the better for those who do not know.
A spatial resolution minimum array size (120×120 or better)
A suggested field of view (FOV) of approximately 20 degrees.
This is why I say E4,E6 and E8 Flir do not meet the minimum standards.

For home inspectors, you can detect many defects under the right delta T conditions with those perimeters. Now the norm is 160 X 120.

Tim, I disagree with the client expects the best.
They require a good thorough job.

NOTE: If you get into commercial, industrial or specialized building component inspections an advanced or professional infrared camera would be better suite those needs.

Regards friend!

Robert. I have looked into many cameras also. And to be honest, I was ready to jump to purchase yours. But I don’t just offer Home Inspections… I do Mold Inspections, Water Damage Inspections, and am also looking to do Commercial Roofing and Electrical Inspections once I get the camera. So in light of offering all of these services and the fact that I WILL be inserting many thermal images into my reports. I would like to get the highest quality resolution possible to ensure the client is able to see what I can see…

To tell you the honest truth…I found a Flir E4 camera for an amazing deal and did the upgrade to E8 specifications for FREE. It took me about 15 mins… I now have a Flir E4 with 320x240 resolution, a thermal sensitivity of <0.06°C, a FOV of 45° × 34°, etc.

Yes I am aware that the FOV and Focus-Free may in fact be bothersome but we will just have to see…If I feel that this camera just won’t work then I will obviously re-think my options…But a Flir E8 for under $1,000 is worth it to anyone just starting out isn’t it?

I am pretty sure that a wider FOV is ok with Resnet, just not narrower than 20 degrees. The E4 and E5 definitely does not comply with Resnet standards due to resolution.