Can they be?

Originally Posted By: hgordon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hey guys…question for ya electrical code types!

Can a Dishwasher and Disposal be HARD WIRED together?

The closest shut of woulld be the breakers in the garage.

Dishwasher added less than 2 years ago.

![](upload://idyoyIb8mWXUkrNIcyFCcRQn53w.jpeg)

--
Harvey Gordon
SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President
hgordon@fl.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Not sure what ya mean by hardwired “together”, but appliances that draw more than 300 watts (about 3A at 120V) must have a means to disconnect the supply power within sight … which can be an accessible plug or a switch ahead of the appliance, or a switch on the appliance marked “Off” that cuts power.

Look at NEC Article 422, or If ya have a copy of the IRC look at "Table E4001.5 - Disconnecting Means" ... its a pretty handy summary of the requirements ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

A breaker capable of being locked off will meet code also.

The two units may be on the same circuit if the circuit provides enough current for both.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

hgordon

Quote:
Hey guys...question for ya electrical code types!

Can a Dishwasher and Disposal be HARD WIRED together?

The closest shut of would be the breakers in the garage.

Dishwasher added less than 2 years ago.

My Personal Opinion: The picture above shows a method of connection through a duplex connector that is not recognized by the electrical industry for the supply to these two pieces of equipment.

That's without some further explanation where under certain conditions an extension from a cover is acceptable elsewhere, but not to be discussed here.

I would simply tell the customer that they need an evaluation by a licensed electrician. Good information about the disconnects, etc., but never mind writing up the disconnects and loads here, you have done your job giving a recommendation to get an electrician.

A picture is worth a thousand words, and this is one of the first I have seen like this! It was probably done by a homeowner DIY person, or someone who has no clue or experience in the methods related to this type of installation wiring!

Most HI's electrical knowledge is limited, and NEC references are of no value, unless the HI understands that they should try to learn a bit more about the electrical trade or just make a visual inspection and give an honest recommendation that you can live with.

I would, however, like to see the HI become more involved in the electrical area, and that's why Nick asked me to come aboard and help with that part of the electrical inspection process.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

jtedesco wrote:
That's without some further explanation where under certain conditions an extension from a cover is acceptable elsewhere, but not to be discussed here.

Joe I am not trying to start trouble but I have to ask why you often feel the need to tell us what is open for discussion and what is not.

This is an open forum is it not?

No moderators etc.

Bob

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

jtedesco wrote:
Most HI's electrical knowledge is limited, and NEC references are of no value, unless the HI understands that they should try to learn a bit more about the electrical trade or just make a visual inspection and give an honest recommendation that you can live with.

Very true. As an instructor also, I find that many HI's really struggle with the NEC. Thats why I highly recommend the IRC (including Part VIII - Electrical ... which is a really handy summary of the NEC requirements that apply just to residences) along with the CodeCheck field books that go with that ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

P.S. I agree with Bob that things beyond a home inspection can be discussed here (and often are), as long as those things are not reported on.

Bob Badger wrote:
A breaker capable of being locked off will meet code also.

Good point ... but I don't think I have seen this done for anything other than equipment like HVAC units. Would be easy to add ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Bob:

Quote:
Joe I am not trying to start trouble but I have to ask why you often feel the need to tell us what is open for discussion and what is not.

This is an open forum is it not?

No moderators etc.

Bob

Sure, this is an Open Forum! My comment was intended to avoid going off track again!

I am sure that you are aware of what I am talking about and can expand on the item I mentioned.

If you need the code reference let me know, and I will be happy to start another thread and explain what I mean or even post a picture to explain the hazard.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

jtedesco wrote:
My comment was intended to avoid going off track again!

Okay ... so the original comment meant you just didn't want to get off-topic. Understood.

jtedesco wrote:

I think that discussion would have been within the post, as the pic shows the appliances connected thru a cover ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?