Capacitor on breaker?

Did an inspection this morning and saw this in the breaker panel. I have never seen a capacitor install at the breaker before. Is this normal anywhere? Is this a double tap?

This is on a 220 dryer circuit breaker.

What circuit was it on?
Wonder if it’s a cheap version of the internet gimmicks out there… https://youtu.be/VPJDmtzCXGY

It is too small for that.

It is likely a band-pass filter for communications. They are used for home automation systems.

I would not be concerned about the double-tap. People who don’t understand the hazards of multiple conductors on a single terminal will probably go apoplectic over my comment but, oh well …

They are sometimes used to keep the current even, but it really does not help make anything more effective.

It’s too small.

If you click on the image you can read what it is…

.12 MFD +/_ 10% 630 volt George is probably right. Band pass filter for early Home automation devices that used carrier current (impresses coded signal on the house wiring). A consistent problem with these systems was how to get a signal (command) that originated on one half of the house supply to operate a device on the other half.

1 Like

This is on a 220 dryer circuit breaker.

Please explain what you mean by “Keep the current even”.

The capacitor holds sufficient charge to trip the breaker for at least 12 seconds after the charging voltage is removed. However, on most fault conditions, some voltage is still present, so the Model 295 is designed so that 65% of normal voltage gives sufficient charge to trip the breaker.

Why would the breaker need to trip after the voltage was removed?

That just was a convenient place to hang it. Probably a band pass filter as George suggested and has nothing to do with the dryer (other than borrowing its lugs).

Lhamilton4 is spam. just flag it and move on.

1 Like