cedar beams

In the picture there is a 6"x10" twenty foot long cedar beam used as an exposed joist on a patio. The beam is attached to the other beam using just five nails on either side. I don’t think there is any code being broken here, but this is just not smart. I want to write this builder up, but come up short or words. I really do believe that this is a safety issue beside, as I said, just not smart. Can anyone give me some ideas

You could describe what you see and recommend securing the beam connections for enhanced safety…

thanks

I have built a lot and that scares me. I hope that is not a structural beam and its just decoration.

TX doesn’t require framing hardware? This sure wouldn’t fly in CA…

No they don’t. This house is out in the county and thus no city inspections either. This is a new house and there is SO much wrong with it that the owner called me in to inspect and report. They have the same beams inside the house at the family room, but the ends are covered with sheetrock. I would put money on the same type of attachment there.

yes TX does, out in the country, no muni inspector, does not matter

the joists/beams require hangers, report it, let the builder or whoever rebut in writing and take the heat

Same here Barry, today’s standard would require one that looks like this.

http://eichlervision.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/mini-091004_58.jpg

:slight_smile:

Marcel, those hangers are aesthetically much nicer and pricier but these will do if they fit and painted as too not detract from the finished product…

Yeah, but I am a pricey aesthetic person. :mrgreen:
I don’t like the look of those rough frame hangers. :wink:

a class act foshizzle!

What the hell is a foshizzle?:slight_smile:

One of these on each side will work also.

http://www.pryda.co.nz/catalog/connectors/images/SBK31.gif

Painted black of course with 1/2" diameter bolts. :slight_smile:

that is what I had recommended in the report

I’m not sure if I would be calling out the species of wood used. When you get specific, it can come back and bite you. Sort of like saying the jetted tub is a Jacuzzi brand. It may or may not be and the price difference can be quite a bit.

Are you sure there is no mortise and tenon joinery Mr.Napper.
It hard to see if it is only partial and not through tenon jointing.
The home owner might have nailed there because he thought there was a problem.:eek:
Sorry for the edit

What’s the age of the home?

Sorry for the extra posts and often. I am called away from my computer. I will leave it at that.
Now I have seen support beans as this one acting as rafter system nailed before.
If the tenon and beam were not pinned through they can expand due to live loads.
I have seen them nailed as this photo illustrates to stop the beams tenon pulling out.
Just my thoughts.

I can not believe I’m saying this, but I respectfully disagree with Marcel. I believe it should have 4 1/2’’ of support under each end, either with a the proper hanger or post.

The unknown loading of both beams would dictate what is required for proper support of both. At this point, it is an unknown.
Whether the toenailed beam is a load carrying beam or not, it should have some sort of hanger, not just nails.
Aesthetically, a heavy duty hanger, or bolted angle clips like you see in post and beam construction. :slight_smile: