Changing Ridge Cap Directions

Wanting to get some feedback on the topic of ridge cap directions for asphalt shingle roof coverings. It’s always been my understanding that you determine ridge cap direction by evaluating where the prevailing wind will most likely be coming from a majority of the time.

With that being said, I’m seeing a lot of homes in my area with ridge caps changing direction midway down the ridge. So they will have a center shingle and then fan the cap out in opposite directions from the center, almost seemingly for looks rather than functionality. Seeing this a lot on new construction as well. Am I missing something here? Is there some methodology behind that practice or is it just crews not understanding the thought process behind ridge cap direction?

I have not seen that in my area. The direction should be determined based on the prevailing winds. In my area they are usually installed North to South and East to West.

No prevailing direction here. May be a design statement :slight_smile:

The installer was guessing on the prevailing wind direction, so this is a 50/50 chance that he is right in at least one direction. :grinning: LOL:wink:

The installer was guessing on the prevailing wind direction, so this is a 50/50 chance that he is right in at least one direction. :grinning: LOL:wink:

LOL…LOL…LOL. :joy:

This is seriously what I was wondering, lol!

That’s what I was thinking… may have been a weatherman at his previous job.

If prevailing wind direction is obvious and cap orientation is right… great!
Do you really want to create tension in a sales transaction by claiming that in the future the winds are going to blow from a direction that will not agree with the orientation of the ridge cap shingles?
Best to stick to important issues that you can back credibly one way or another and leave comments about wind direction problems to your competition.