Ridge Vent

If you have a ridge vent with shingles going one directions up to 10 ft frome the end and then they change directions with exposed nailheads how do you call that? I know that it does not affect the vent, but what about the change of direction?

Should never be exposed nail heads call it out on that alone. it’s improper installation.

Phil, If you are referring to ‘shingle over ridge vent’ then, two things;

First, starting from each end working your way to the center with “cap shingles” is not technically incorrect, but definitely not how I’d do it! You should start on one end and work your way to the other. http://www.guardianbp.com/docs%5Cguardvent_install_instruct.pdf

Second, the end (or last) cap shingle must be nailed from the top…which means that nail heads will be exposed! However, I would dab a little fiber based mastic on each head. In fact, in some high wind areas at the ridge, you may see face nailing or hand tabbing of ridge shingles. http://www.malarkeyroofing.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/3tabShinglinstalinstrct2009.pdf

[FONT=Times-Bold][size=1][/size][/FONT][FONT=MyriadPro-Regular][size=1]**"**Install Malarkey Hip & Ridge Strips™, Rake ‘n’ Ridge™, or Pro-Design™ over the shingles as described on the Malarkey product packaging…
[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadPro-Regular][size=1]7. During installation in high wind areas Malarkey recommends hand sealing or face nailing highprofile ridge shingles to avoid wind damage."
[/size][/FONT]

The last cap does NOT have to have exposed nails, if the roofer takes their time to cut a piece of cap and adheres it over the top of the last full cap. If they use a good adhesive their are no nails to have to seal on a yearly basis. You don’t see it often but it does happen.

I’m not sure if the wind reaches 125 mph+ in your neck of the woods but, up here it does! And NO amount of “adhesive” is going to stop that! Also, let’s not overlook the manufactures “recommendations”, as they are usually the final word!? Also, “adhesive” or mastic is temporary by nature as well and to relying on its bonding properties alone, is silly! Just my 15 years of shingling experience cents…

Oh, now we are going to have a p contest about how long you have been shingling? I’ll match your 15 then. And roof cement does work in that application, and no we do not get 125 mph winds on a regular basis, as I doubt you do either. The op did not state a location btw, so why would I give advice for your neck of the woods? Have a good night.:wink:

Re-read my post. I specified that this un-nailed piece would go over the last piece of cap. So, what is the problem with that? It is a simple measure to avoid having to reseal this area every year.

I don’t know of any shingle manufacturer that recommend exposed nails. yes sometimes you do face nail, but you still cover the nail heads

Neither do I. That’s why a lot of the guys in my area use the method I described above. You get the same as the other guys were talking about with the added benefit of another piece of cap sealing the whole thing with no nails exposed.

We design to 125 mph with a 3 second gust actually. I’ll go back to what I was originally quoting and that was the Manufactures Installation Instructions! Anything beyond that is just an opinion! Also, click on my original post to Malarkay and read away…

I did. #7 in the ridge section states that we are both correct. Hand sealing OR face nailing. I guess it would be a personal preference then with that particular brand.

I stated them both in my original post also. I was just trying to point out why Phil might be seeing what he’s seeing. And the “read” away comment was for intended for James. Remember everyone, we are talking about (1) tab nailed into plastic ridge vent and not into the shealthing or decking. Good night! BTW, I’ll take my 15 and give you your 30…I can still bend both knees! :wink:

I’m not old enough to have 30. Nice info.

Done my share of shingling but would not do it for a living as it is too much like hard work. It always takes me a week to recover. Last one I did was my own house, with my brother who was a roofer for years up in New England where they know a thing or two about putting on a roof. He showed me how to do it that way.

The method he used not only looks attractive but at the end there are only four exposed nails. This is in the center of the ridge vent with the caps running in opposite direction from center. Final piece is a full rectangle, four nails that covers the nails of the other caps. Then using roofing bull (tar / sealant) then take two pieces of scrap shingle, rub together over the nails, covering the exposed areas of sealant with the colored granular minerals, which blends into the surface so you can not even see where the nails are. Takes a few minutes, looks professional and the sealant does not pop off for whatever reason. BTW, we used longer nails on the ridge vent, the rest went on with a gun. I can not even imagine doing it the old school way with a hammer. They would have had to call the Fire Dept to get me off the roof.

Any exposed fasteners are considered improper installation and may void the manufacturer’s warranty.
Best practices dictate that cap shingles should be lapped away from the direction of prevailing winds.