CHAPI not Happy

Good Day

I am a new inspector and got sucked into SAPPY CHAPI (Alberta Chapter). I am learning that CHAPI is not what It claims to be. My first meeting with CHAPI the talk was mostly about the proposed legislation that they had made up and was going into place very soon. This was almost a year ago.

Today I attended a meeting put on by CHAPI where the sole purpose was to update us on the proposed legislation that CHAPI was working on. The guest today was Brock Ketcham with the government of Alberta. The first thing that Brock said was there is no proposed legislation right now and it is in the distant future. Many CHAPI members were mad at this.

The meeting got interesting when somebody started to talk about NACHI. “Why should we listen to them they are from the states?” Credit to Brock he explained that the people of CHAPI are not the only people in the home inspection industry. CHAPI is scared that their legislation is going to be thrown out because of NACHI. (We will try as hard as we can.)

I will keep you updated if there is something to report.

Lawrence Olsen

PS Great Sight

Meet me here: http://www.nachi.org/albertalm2007.htm

Association biased licensing leads to consumer injury and death and anyone promoting licensing that favors one association over another is a statistical mass murderer.

Government officials have a duty to the public to protect them and keep them from being harmed by all that happens when private trade associations, run by those that should be regulated, are given powers that permit consumer-harming corruption. Don’t allow the regulated to regulate. Every child knows better.

Thanks Lawrence much appreciated .
CAHPI stands for Canadian association of Home and Property Inspectors .
It has grown from CAHI Canadian home Inspectors.
CAHPI ( CAHI) is made up of various Provincial associations .
Part of the dues from each Provincial Senior Members ( RHIs) goes to support CAHPI.
Some of the provincial association take part of the dues from all there members and send to CAHPI.
I was a member of ( OAHI ) Ontario Association of Home Inspectors ,now CAHPI/ONTARIO.for many years and served on various committees.
I was not satisfied how the membership was treated by CAHPI or OAHI so I joined NACHI( I am the oldest Canadian Member of NACHI ) (2003).
I left the Canadian associations and have never been sorry.
If you have been following this BB you will see it is open to all who wish to post here and much is open to all to read.
CAHPI has been pushing their National Certification none stop on this BB and other ways .
They seem to feel it is the best way for the Canadian Home Inspector .
Fortunately Myself and many others have asked many questions and most have been ignored or out right refused to be answered.
I and many others feel there is no advantage to even consider going with the National Certification .
To me it is way too expensive and just another money grab.
CAHPI and their provincial association are just a closed door group who are out to help them selves and not other home inspectors.
They charge huge fees for the teaching and most of these funds go into the pockets of the teachers who are mainly made up off the Directors of these associations.
They tend to belittle NACHI and the NACHI members and call us names .
There is much discussion with OAHI ( they make up about 50% of CAHPI ) and there finances .
They have refused to give the OAHI membership a Financial statement for many years .
The National Certification ( CAHPI ) also has refused to give any information
on this either.
The Home Inspection industry does not want or need this closed door group controlling the Canadian Home Inspection industry.
.Sorry this letter is long so I invite you or any one else who wishes to ask me questions to send me email or phone .
Yours for a for all Home Inspectors .
Roy Cooke 613-475-1144 Roycooke@sympatico.ca

…Cookie.

Brock Ketchum is a true gentleman. I met with him at the Toronto NACHI Conference back in May of 2007. What he told you Lawrence is what he told me and a room full of others who attended his presentation on Alberta licencing.

Thank God, Brock is on the job!

I can’t believe the animosities and egotistical thinking some harbour. Screw the begrudgers!

Thanks for the update!

I spoke with Brock just last week and he told me he would be surprised if Alberta gets legislation before late 2009 if then. That’s a bit more pessimistic than he was at the NACHI convention.

You are correct, Raymond. Brock is a very fair person and from past experience, working with inspectors in Alberta is a huge challenge, and not just those in CAHPI.

This isn’t meant to be negative, but I think Albertan inspectors have stronger opinions than any of us and once they take a stand they are quite rigid.

There are some (and certainly not all) within CAHPI Alberta who believe they have an entitlement. However, that is not the message from their leaders.

Two years ago now, almost to the day, I gave a presentation (as did Mr. Ketcham) in Red Deer Alberta about the National Certification to the CAHPI Alberta AGM. I think that was one time I actually feared for my life. I was an easterner there trying to tell them how things should be done. (or so they said) There were people standing on chairs screaming at me because I dared to suggest that we were going to allow inspectors outside of CAHPI membership to participate in the National Certification. I guess all I’m saying is that the environment in Alberta is somewhat different than other places. They’re great guys to have on your side but they make formidable foes.

Also, let’s not confuse the provincial CAHPI organizations with CAHPI National. Although related, they are often very different in their philosophies and their missions.

All the best

Bill Mullen

I wonder how those Alberta members feel about ASHI which is American?

There are a few (not many) ASHI members who are also CAHPI Alberta members. It really has little to do with being an ‘American’ association as much as NACHI has very different ideas about certification, training, testing, etc. Another factor is that CAHPI Alberta has been the only game in town for years. They find it difficult to deal with any change, especially from some brash upstart like NACHI which doesn’t play by the same rules. (That’s an observation, not a criticism)

Just trying to put things in perspective.

Bill Mullen

"It really has little to do with being an ‘American’ association as much as NACHI has very different ideas about certification, training, testing, etc."

Oh BIll, Bill, Bill. You are on record criticizing NACHI because of it’s “American owner”. You can’t say “black” one day and then “white” the next and expect us to forget the “black” statement. So which is it Bill? Is it just that NACHI has “very different ideas” or is it that we are ‘owned’ by the devil himself? :mrgreen: :shock: :roll:
</IMG></IMG></IMG>

**"Association biased licensing leads to consumer injury and death and anyone promoting licensing that favors one association over another is a statistical mass murderer.

Government officials have a duty to the public to protect them and keep them from being harmed by all that happens when private trade associations, run by those that should be regulated, are given powers that permit consumer-harming corruption. Don’t allow the regulated to regulate. Every child knows better."**

Thanks Nick. Saved me a lot of typing time!

If the government has a duty to the public, then the only way it can assure that duty to the public is to licence the trade.

Cheers,

George, George, George:

As you out it, one organization is ‘owned’ by someone and the other has an elected Board of Directors.

By the way, George, I’m sitting in a Kingston hotel room tonight. Where’s that beer you want to buy me?

Bill Mullen

Bill who has an elected BOD, CAHPI or OAHI? CAHPI-OAHI does not elect its directors who serve on CAHPI BOD. They are appointed without any input whatsoever from the membership. We know what those appointees have done and not done. Hardly democratic wouldn’t you say strictly from an Ontario POV?

Cheers,

The only duty that the government has to the public in the case of the free market is to assure that economic conditions expand the economy and provide more jobs. Government intervention in the free market is always a retrograde action that results conditions that are not beneficial to anyone.

"By the way, George, I’m sitting in a Kingston hotel room tonight. Where’s that beer you want to buy me?"

I’m not sure that I committed myself to the beer, but had I known you were in town I would have come over to meet you. Unfortunately I am booked solid tomorrow so will miss the secret meeting.:wink:

Says who? I don’t see electricians, or plumbers or heating contractors suffering as a result of their profession being licenced?

Only in Ontario are the national directors appointed. In all other regions they are elected by the members.
Ontario is different because they have those ‘perfect’ bylaws.

Bill Mullen

http://www.cahpi.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=36
Bylaw and Policy Committee:
Graham Clarke graham@carsondunlop.com

Speaking of perfect, unsubstantiated bylaws and considering G. Clarke is on the bylaw committee of OAHI the same committee that can’t produce the new improved bylaws how can we be assured G. Clarke is excercising the same qualities on the CAHPI Bylaw committee?

Seems to me CAHPI-Ontario needs to get rid of some dead wood and people who seem to be part of the continual problems in CAHPI-Ontario.

Its turning out more and more that CAHPI-OAHI is anything but democratic.

Oooooooooooooooops, can I say that? Oh heck I just did! :slight_smile:

"Says who? I don’t see electricians, or plumbers or heating contractors suffering as a result of their profession being licenced?"

Spoken like a real ‘trade union Liberal’. Goverment intervention is never good for the free market.

George,

I am anything but a union man. Don’t like unions, never believed in them. What I do believe in is the government stepping in when those given special status or self regulation have abused the trust.

Lets face it Licencing in the home inspection industry is not gong to interfer with the free market anymore than other licenced professions.

What about when they catch corporations conspiring in price fixing schemes. The US is much more active in their “anti-trust” activities so we don’t here much about this gov’t function here.

Government intervention has made an aquaintance of mine a multi-millionaire!!! He’s at his house in Playa del Carmen, south of Cancun as I write. He complains loudly about all the taxes he pays…probably more than I make some years. Here’s how the gov’t intervened in the free market: They prohibited dumping of garbage, sludge, ballast and bilge water containing oils, etc, into the ocean. So all cruise ships and others now have to use his or the competitors services to keep the environment clean.

Recently due to “terrorism” concerns, he’s had to expand by buying tugs and barges, hire 2-3 “licensed” (bad word here) ship/tug captains as he cannot collect garbage, bilge, sludge from the dock side but only from the water side of the ships now!!

This results in higher costs for the shipline owners but also higher billing for him…so if he has a fixed mark-up…he’s making more $$$$$$. Plus he’s expanding his investments…just bought a restaurant/cottage rental business last year!!

When he complains against taxes, I quickly remind him that gov’t regulations gave him the chance to grow from office cleaner to successful entrepreneur!!!