Checking the grounding on electric hot water tanks

http://www.bengromicko.com/images/grounding-electric-water-tank-inspection-tip-ben-gromicko.jpg

Do you check the grounding wire connection at the electric hot water tank by opening up a panel if necessary?

Isn’t the grounding, when properly done, visible without opening the panel?

No. I do not open that panel.

On older tanks, the wire and nut are not usually visible. I think manufacturers have been making the grounding nut/screw readily visible.

This one is readily visible…
grounding-electric-water-tank-inspection-tip-ben-gromicko-visible.jpg

What if the grounding wire and nut/screw is not readily visible? Do ya’ll take the little panel off and check?

Playing Devil’s Advocate: Do you check light fixtures to make sure the metal case is grounded.

If it is an older tank I report a new one is needed anyway. :cool:
These tanks were never intended to function past their typical lifespan therefore they ARE NOT functioning as intended.

I can’t find checking for grounding in the NACHI SOP

You mean their intended function was to quit working by that time?:slight_smile:

Chuck, I agree and am with you on this, but…just in general, how do you comply with Texas TREC 535.229 (c)(3)(F)?

I do not remove the panel.

Yes, if not visible. I also pull the access plates off the elements/thermostats just to check things out. FWIW - I found an arcing wire/contact from a loose connection a couple of months ago…

Actually I was just making an observation vs. stating a position.

There seems to be a lot of folks who will not check anything unless it is specifically called out in the SOP. I can’t find any reference to verifying ground on water heaters or any other mechanical devices in the interNACHI SOP. I’m curious how many people don’t check specifically because it’s not in the SOP.

My reasoning for not removing the panel is because it’s ‘technically exhaustive’. We could dream up a lot of things that could be disassembled that might reveal defects (like light fixture wiring). Example: I don’t peal back vinyl siding to look for window flashing either. Another example: I don’t pull out wood stoves to see the fireplace…the list goes on.

If we don’t pull out the couch to test the outlet behind it, why would anyone think we should remove an access panel to a water heater?

Age alone cannot kill a water heater. We see 30 year old heaters that are working. We can reort that they are beyond their life exectancy and to expect replacement, but is a new one really needed?

FYI - my mom is 87 years old. She has lived well past her expected life. Do I need a new mother? Should we just write her off due to age. She is in great health.

But,
is there any significant difference between this:
grounding-electric-water-tank-inspection-tip-ben-gromicko-visible-2.jpg

and this:
grounding-electric-water-tank-inspection-tip-ben-gromicko-visible-tug-main-panel.jpg **?

[size=3]If you do one, do you do the other?[/size]**

grounding-electric-water-tank-inspection-tip-ben-gromicko-visible-2.jpg

I think it is just a practical distintion. The only difference I see is that by uncovering the panel you can see at least one end of virtually circuit and can gain some perspective as to the general quality of the electrical work . On the other hand, if we were to check every place a ground should be connected, we would be there a very long time. I do offer such an exhaustive electrical inspection, but no one wants to pay for it. :slight_smile:

Now that’s FUNNY !!