Chimney...no, they didn't build it like that.

Originally Posted By: lkage
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/G/chimney1_006.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/G/chimney2_004.jpg ]

Sucking the mantel right through the wall:

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/G/mantel1_001.jpg ]
[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/G/chimney2_003.jpg ]

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: lleesch

I think I would call the cops on this one. The Chimney is trying to flee the scene. icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif

What does the rest of the chimney look like?

This is unreal.

Good luck.

Marcel

mcyr wrote:
![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)
What does the rest of the chimney look like?
This is unreal.
Good luck.

Marcel

The footing had sunk about 6" already. The rest of the chimney was spauled and missing brick. The "cap" was brick 6 or 8 high in the corners (also deteriorated) with a conrete slab atop that. Lookout below! There was no cricket and the flashing was gapped open to the weather about 2". The tile flue was cracked and creosoted badly. And the fascia, soffit, roof decking and beyond were deteriorating.

Otherwise it was just fine.

I found it hard to believe the owner thought they built it that way but he insisted it was just like this when he bought the place and he didn't know who filled the gap at the wall with mortar and caulk.

He talked, I just listened and kept writing.

--
Galileo Galilei

icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Larry; I hope you gave this place an E and no it does not stand for excellent, like I tried to tell my father when I went to school.

E comes just shy of F, and this place is pretty close to it.

Marcel

mcyr wrote:
![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)
Larry; I hope you gave this place an E and no it does not stand for excellent, like I tried to tell my father when I went to school.

E comes just shy of F, and this place is pretty close to it.

Marcel

Marcel, I sure know what you mean.

It's hard for me to "fail" a house but I sure want to educate my client on the present condition of it and it's components.

I'm finding that there is always someone willing to buy every property. For instance, my client here is going to buy this place because they like the property. They want to live here over the winter before they rip it apart and rebuild it. It's on the water and around here that commands a premium.

There are 2 other chimneys to use and he's hoping to get to next spring before it falls down and rips his wall wide open. I told him no guaranties but he's a commercial builder and feels confident in his assessment of the situation.

Mostly I just write and listen.

--
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: lewens

Larry

I just did an inspection for my sister on a place she was going to buy. Had already made an offer and it was accepted with the condition of a home inspection. I found the same problem on the house and when we asked a chimney company to come and check it out it turned out to be a $10,000 and up bill to remove the chimney and repair the outside wall. The price didn’t include any repair to the inside.

Larry

Just my usual 12.5 cents

From The Great White North Eh?
NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com/

lewens wrote:
Larry
I just did an inspection for my sister on a place she was going to buy. Had already made an offer and it was accepted with the condition of a home inspection. I found the same problem on the house and when we asked a chimney company to come and check it out it turned out to be a $10,000 and up bill to remove the chimney and repair the outside wall. The price didn't include any repair to the inside.
Larry

He talked a little about the chimney removal. Probably bring an excavator with a clam in and pull it onto the driveway and load it into a dump truck. He seemed quite capable.

But I hear you, without his background and equipment availability it would be more expensive.

--
Galileo Galilei

icon_biggrin.gif

Larry; Hope you are fine.

I am glad to think and realize that I am not the only one out there that believes in the SOP, but also believes in educating the public clients as we go.
To me, that is impressive and honor anyone that is willing to educate others as they go. After all, we are professionals and should share with the public the information that we attain and know to better their lives as much as we can using all the knowledge that we attained over the years.

It is not like they will take your job tomorrow, or go into business as an HI., but the satisfaction of telling someone what they should do and what is reality in purchasing a new home. Most people will acknowledge this and appreciate your effort and continue to forward good relative information to others that will become new prospective clients.

Good job and hope you prosper.

Marcel

mcyr wrote:

Good job and hope you prosper.

Marcel

You're a kind man, thank you and the same to you. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Galileo Galilei