City-Data

Originally Posted By: ltrower
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I just found this site last night. It might be useful to some of you in your planning.

http://www.City-Data.com

Lee Trower

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

That is a great site. My town is even smaller than I thought it was!! No wonder we still have big areas of open land, and lots of water. Gee, there are old people around here too icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Gee, Blaine.

I see the open water, but where's all the open land.

I guess there is about two bits worth between 6 and 8 o'clock.

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=15&x=58&y=464&z=17&w=1

My clients love to go here and get aerial or satellite photos of their property.

Zoom & Pan to your hearts content or enter your "city,ST" to see your home from the air.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Lee & Erby

Let me be the first to thank both Lee and Erby for the links, think I will just add a satellite image to my picture portfolio for each inspection if possible.

Best new year wishes!

Joe Burkeson

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Lee & Erby,

I like these links. This is good information for my future clients. Everyone buying a home wants to see what their house looks like from an aerial view. One problem, I punched in my address and the pin designates my neighbor?s house as mine. This happened because the aerial map is 5 years old and my house is four years old.
At least the program got the street right. For you people who are interested in viewing newer construction, it won?t happen. Make sure you read the date of the aerial photo taken.
Click the following link and see the empty lot my new house now sits on. (To the upper left of the push pin).
http://terraserver-usa.com/addressimage.aspx?t=1&s=10&Lon=-71.22558150&Lat=42.69812846&Alon=-71.22558150&Alat=42.69812846&w=1&opt=0&ref=A%7c21+Winstead+Ave%2c+Methuen%2c+MA+01844

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Erby,

What you are looking at is Rotonda West, Fl which is the "development" I live in. It counts as a town I guess just because it has it's own Zip code. Rotonda West is everything inside the circle only. Each street which is a "spoke" on the wheel is 1 mile long. We have no stores, offices, schools, governmental buildings or anything else inside the circle. Only houses and empty lots. 8000 lots and 4011 houses as of last month. If you look to the right side of the picture, that is South Gulf Cove. There are about 2400 lots there, of which just a bit over 450 are built on. Street after street after street of nothing for miles.

Until the zip code change a couple of years ago (right around the census I think) Rotonda was a part of Englewood. Englewood was the town I was speaking of. I can drive for 11 miles on River Road from Winchester Blvd to US 75 and see nothing but a General Store, a golf course, a camp ground and a landscape supply place.

I guess maybe compared to KY we don't have open land. But compared to Northern VA, we have no buildings. And since the nearest town to me with over 1 million people is Houston Texas, I think this qualifies as Rural.

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Well, Blaine. I first just looked at the 32 meter resolution view showing the whole place with all the streets developed. When I zoomed in to look at the one meter resolution view, showing individual homes and streets, I easily see what you’re saying about the houses versus open areas.

Houston may be closest true single town with 1 million, but there are several "Metropolitan Statistical Area"'s with more than a million much closer to you.

For those of you who want to download or print the aerial photos, I caution you to:

1. Get the picture just the way you want it.
2. Use the download link or print link at the top of the page.

If you just right click to save it, it saves one tile (the one your mouse pointer was on) out of the sixteen (or so) that make up the picture.

David,

I hope that ball field right across the street doesn't get to much noise for you.

The download link saves it just like you're looking at it.

Good luck.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com