Clarance at burner Access to water heater.

Originally Posted By: rsummers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What is the required clearance to combustibles that must be maintained at burner acess door?

Originally Posted By: psabados

It’s 30 inches IRC 1.305.1

Paul

Thanks Paul thats what I wrote in the Report. They had built a wall up against burner area but cut out a section to acess burner but with a tape measure I only measured 4 inches to the wood frame of acess door at corner.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

psabados wrote:
It's 30 inches IRC 1.305.1

Paul

Huh?

G2408.1 (305.1) General. Equipment and appliances shall be installed as required by the terms of their approval, in accordance with the conditions of listing, the manufacturer?s instructions and this code. Manufacturers? installation instructions shall be available on the job site at the time of inspection. Where a code provision is less restrictive than the conditions of the listing of the equipment or appliance or the manufacturer?s installation instructions, the conditions of the listing and the manufacturer?s installation instructions shall apply.

Unlisted appliances approved in accordance with Section 2404.3 shall be limited to uses recommended by the manufacturer and shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer?s instructions, the provisions of this code and the requirements determined by the code official.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: psabados

Hold on Rolland

After Jerry P's post I went and checked my unit. Mine does say min. clearance in a closet the front needs to be 4 inches. However, that doesn't take into consideration 30 inches for the free space in front of the firebox. In an alcove it does state free front clearance. Each unit will most likely have different tolerances.

I suppose if someone cut out the drywall giving access to the front of the unit, and then framed in a louvered door or made an alcove it would meet spec's.

IMO the way its installed now its a safety hazard.

Paul

This was a framed out area about 12"x12" that was not sheet rocked. The burner and gas valve could not have been removed with out turning unit. I couldn’t even see what the temperature selector was set at. It sure looked like a safety hazard to me. The opening was only around the burner acess door hate to have to disassemble that to clean it .