Clay Flue Liner

I inspected a duplex yesterday, stacked units (upstairs downstairs); both units had a fireplace that shared the same chimney but separate liners. They make larger clay liners but whoever built it did some wonky crap to it where the grout is terrible in some spots. has anyone seen this before?
My recommendation is to not even use the fireplace cause the whole thing is screwed up just for liner issues.

You could, also, recommend a C.S.I.A. Level II chimney inspection by a qualified chimney sweep, Jacob.

Part of a Level II:

A Level 2 inspection is required when any changes are made to the system. Changes can include a change in the fuel type, changes to the shape of, or material in, the flue (i.e. relining), or the replacement or addition of an appliance of a dissimilar type, input rating or efficiency. Additionally, a Level 2 inspection is required upon the sale or transfer of a property or after an operation malfunction or external event that is likely to have caused damage to the chimney. Building fires, chimney fires, seismic events as well as weather events are all indicators that this level of inspection is warranted.

It looks like they used 8’ x 8" s and tried to make 16" x 16" flues. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

There’s a ton wrong with both fireplaces on the inside too. I would like to list everything that is wrong but that’ll take forever. Would you write everything down or write a single descriptive narrative explaining some issues and that the whole thing should be evaluated with a higher phase inspection?

This…adding etc. and “before using the fireplace” at the end.